The bustle of Fox News Com­men­tator Greta Van Susteren’s studio leaked through her laptop speakers as Hannah Grandy logged onto Skype from her com­puter.

“We’re live in 30 seconds.”

Grandy, an eco­nomics major, has appeared on the Fox News show “On The Record” with Greta Van Sus­teren as a pan­elist on two occa­sions.

It turns out national media involvement is becoming a Hillsdale tra­dition. Grandy, Alex Anderson, and Warren Viegas all share expe­rience working in media varying from tele­vision broadcast or the Internet.

Jan. 21 marked Grandy’s first appearance after she got a phone call from Greta’s program booker, ’12 graduate Charlie Couger, asking her if she would par­tic­ipate on a panel of mil­len­nials dis­cussing the Obama economy. Five hours later she was on the air.

“All in the span of five hours it went from you know just going about my business to, I“m going to be on national TV,” Grandy said.

Before going on the show that, night, Grandy called her adviser, Pro­fessor of Eco­nomics Gary Wolfram, for advice before her appearance on air. Grandy said Wolfram gave her advice that “if you decide what’s going to be on the front page of the news­paper tomorrow make it your goal to say that.”

Grandy took Wolfram’s advice, and as a result she led the panel’s dis­cussion. Hannah received a second call from Couger a month later. Unlike the first broadcast, things did not go as smoothly, and the ear­piece pro­vided by the college’s broadcast studio did not fit in Grandy’s ears.

“I couldn’t hear what they were saying because the ear-piece kept falling out,” said Grandy, “I was like, ‘I have no idea what the question was, but I’m just going to go with it.’”

Junior Alex Anderson, a pol­itics major and member of the Dow Jour­nalism progam, has diverse expe­rience working in media.

During the summer of 2012, Anderson won a contest with CNN iReport and was sent to report on the 2012 Repub­lican National Con­vention in Tampa, Florida.

“Seeing how the show was pro­duced made me inter­ested in getting expe­rience at the national network level,” Anderson said.

His interest in broadcast led him to apply for an internship at Fox News. In the summer of 2013, Anderson worked for Fox News Political Com­men­tator Sean Hannity.

“I just saw every­thing I had been working for in college come to fruition,” he said. “I saw my edu­cation, the classes I had taken, come to appli­cation.”

In  Feb­ruary, Anderson had a video he pro­duced about small busi­nesses in the Hillsdale area using the Square credit card reader pub­lished on FoxNewsBusiness.com.

“I thought it would be good to tell the story of a small business so I pitched the story to Fox,” Anderson said.

After college Anderson plans to pursue a career in com­mu­ni­ca­tions, either working at a tele­vision network, as a Con­gres­sional press sec­retary, or pos­sibly at a public rela­tions firm.

Senior Warren Viegas is the nephew of con­ser­v­ative author and film-maker Dinesh D’Souza. This family rela­tionship has given him the oppor­tunity to work with his uncle on a number of his projects.

When Viegas emi­grated from India to the United States at age sev­enteen, he knew nothing about American pol­itics until he stumbled upon his uncle’s book, “Letters to A Young Con­ser­v­ative.”

“After reading the book, I was inspired by what my uncle is trying to do,” Viegas said.

Although Viegas was largely an observer of the pro­duction of his uncle’s first movie, “2016: Obama’s America,” he learned about what goes into making a movie, espe­cially how to write scripts. Viegas played a more sig­nif­icant role in pro­moting his uncle’s most recent and yet to be released film, America.

Recently he wrote the script to the YouTube video “Between Two Americas,” which par­odies Zach Gal­i­fi­anakis’ web-show “Between Two Ferns,” as a pro­mo­tional pieve aimed at younger viewers, par­tic­u­larly college stu­dents.

“If you looked at the demo­graphics 2016 reached, it was for the older crowd,” Viegas said. “If you want to reach a younger crowd you have to do things a little dif­fer­ently.”

After grad­u­ating Hillsdale, Viegas plans to pursue a career in the film industry.

“The media is liberal, leave Hillsdale and go any­where else, it’s liberal. The enter­tainment industry is very liberal. The con­ser­v­ative values are under threat because of it,” Viegas said. “There is a good oppor­tunity for a lot of people to make a dif­ference in the media setting.”