The bustle of Fox News Commentator Greta Van Susteren’s studio leaked through her laptop speakers as Hannah Grandy logged onto Skype from her computer.

“We’re live in 30 seconds.”

Grandy, an economics major, has appeared on the Fox News show “On The Record” with Greta Van Susteren as a panelist on two occasions.

It turns out national media involvement is becoming a Hillsdale tradition. Grandy, Alex Anderson, and Warren Viegas all share experience working in media varying from television broadcast or the Internet.

Jan. 21 marked Grandy’s first appearance after she got a phone call from Greta’s program booker, ’12 graduate Charlie Couger, asking her if she would participate on a panel of millennials discussing the Obama economy. Five hours later she was on the air.

“All in the span of five hours it went from you know just going about my business to, I”m going to be on national TV,” Grandy said.

Before going on the show that, night, Grandy called her adviser, Professor of Economics Gary Wolfram, for advice before her appearance on air. Grandy said Wolfram gave her advice that “if you decide what’s going to be on the front page of the newspaper tomorrow make it your goal to say that.”

Grandy took Wolfram’s advice, and as a result she led the panel’s discussion. Hannah received a second call from Couger a month later. Unlike the first broadcast, things did not go as smoothly, and the earpiece provided by the college’s broadcast studio did not fit in Grandy’s ears.

“I couldn’t hear what they were saying because the ear-piece kept falling out,” said Grandy, “I was like, ‘I have no idea what the question was, but I’m just going to go with it.'”

Junior Alex Anderson, a politics major and member of the Dow Journalism progam, has diverse experience working in media.

During the summer of 2012, Anderson won a contest with CNN iReport and was sent to report on the 2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida.

“Seeing how the show was produced made me interested in getting experience at the national network level,” Anderson said.

His interest in broadcast led him to apply for an internship at Fox News. In the summer of 2013, Anderson worked for Fox News Political Commentator Sean Hannity.

“I just saw everything I had been working for in college come to fruition,” he said. “I saw my education, the classes I had taken, come to application.”

In  February, Anderson had a video he produced about small businesses in the Hillsdale area using the Square credit card reader published on FoxNewsBusiness.com.

“I thought it would be good to tell the story of a small business so I pitched the story to Fox,” Anderson said.

After college Anderson plans to pursue a career in communications, either working at a television network, as a Congressional press secretary, or possibly at a public relations firm.

Senior Warren Viegas is the nephew of conservative author and film-maker Dinesh D’Souza. This family relationship has given him the opportunity to work with his uncle on a number of his projects.

When Viegas emigrated from India to the United States at age seventeen, he knew nothing about American politics until he stumbled upon his uncle’s book, “Letters to A Young Conservative.”

“After reading the book, I was inspired by what my uncle is trying to do,” Viegas said.

Although Viegas was largely an observer of the production of his uncle’s first movie, “2016: Obama’s America,” he learned about what goes into making a movie, especially how to write scripts. Viegas played a more significant role in promoting his uncle’s most recent and yet to be released film, America.

Recently he wrote the script to the YouTube video “Between Two Americas,” which parodies Zach Galifianakis’ web-show “Between Two Ferns,” as a promotional pieve aimed at younger viewers, particularly college students.

“If you looked at the demographics 2016 reached, it was for the older crowd,” Viegas said. “If you want to reach a younger crowd you have to do things a little differently.”

After graduating Hillsdale, Viegas plans to pursue a career in the film industry.

“The media is liberal, leave Hillsdale and go anywhere else, it’s liberal. The entertainment industry is very liberal. The conservative values are under threat because of it,” Viegas said. “There is a good opportunity for a lot of people to make a difference in the media setting.”