Poetry per­former Richard Austin will return to lend his voice to Gerard Manley Hopkins’ poetry March 19 at 7 p.m in Phillips Audi­torium.

The English Department is hosting this encore per­for­mance in con­junction with the lit­erary hon­orary Lambda Iota Tau.

Lor­raine Eadie, assistant pro­fessor of English, was unable to attend his first per­for­mance last spring but says she is excited to have a second chance.

“I think people are drawn to his [Hopkins’] poetry for a few reasons,” Eadie said. “It’s very devo­tional, so he’s pretty open about his faith, about his love of God, and also about wrestling with God –– about dark valleys or times when he feels distant from God. His poetry is also very dense, tactile, and earthy. He uses a lot of homely images, and even though he’s talking about his faith, there’s this sense of this tan­gible expe­rience.”

Michael Jordan, pro­fessor of English, was so impressed by Austin’s work after lis­tening to his poetry reading at Hillsdale Academy last year that he bought the CD made available after the per­for­mance.

“I found it stunning –– it was so remarkable,” Jordan said. “He had such mastery. Hopkin’s verse is not normal verse. It’s got a tremendous amount of allit­er­ation and also what’s called ‘sprung rhythm.’ So it would be this explosion of con­so­nants that was delivered in a very con­fident way.”