Prosecutor Neal Brady to run for District Court Judge

Home City News Prosecutor Neal Brady to run for District Court Judge

After 18 years serving as Hillsdale County Prosecutor, Neal Brady is ready to take his career next step by running for District Court Judge.

Brady announced his candidacy for judge at the March 17 Hillsdale City Council meeting. Brady decided to run for the vacancy after Judge Donald Sanderson announced his retirement on Feb. 6. Currently, Jonesville lawyer Sarah Lisznyai is Brady’s sole opponent for the fall election.

“It is a natural transition going from the public servant prosecutor to public servant judge,” Brady said. “Your goals are the same. You’re trying to protect the public and do justice. I’m not trying to win at all costs as prosecutor. I’m trying to do what’s just. That’s what a judge should do according to the law and their conscience. I think that the two positions flow into one and fit fairly well together.”

Brady said he is also ready to be at the top of the food chain, where he will call the shots. Being a prosecuting attorney in a small county requires long hours and constantly being in the midst of the fight.

“It’s a tough job that tends to wear on you,” Brady said.

Brady’s platform will consist of continuing the efficient and readily accessible court that Sanderson created.

“District court is the court of the people. There is hardly anyone who hasn’t had contact with District Court in some way — whether it’s traffic tickets, landlord relations, or misdemeanors,” Brady said. “It has to be efficient, friendly, motivated, and it has to provide swift and easy access to justice.”

Brady said he would continue with his own stylistic changes according to his personality and experience as a prosecutor. He plans to be somewhat tougher on people he has repeatedly prosecuted.

If Brady wins the District Court Judge seat in the fall, Judge Smith will appoint a prosecutor to fill Brady’s vacancy, as prosecuting attorney is only up for election during presidential election years.

“Running for judge is a chance that not every lawyer is able take,” senior Elizabeth Brady said. “Now that it has arrived for my father, I am thrilled that he is campaigning for this new opportunity to serve his community. Of course, I have no doubt in his ability, but I have more appreciation now for the character and courage required to even run for the position. I have great confidence that this fall will bring out the best in my father, who has never ceased being a fine example for all those around him.”

During his campaign, Neal Brady intends to seek the assistance of Hillsdale’s College Republicans to help reach voters by going door-to-door.  He was chairman of the Hillsdale County Republicans for six years and said he has a good relationship with the college group. He said he could use the help because this fall will be a busy as he campaigns and coaches soccer.

Brady is the varsity men’s soccer team coach at the Hillsdale Academy, and he coaches two community youth teams of 8-12 year old boys.

“He is a fantastic coach with a very commanding presence,” said Hillsdale Soccer Club Coordinator Amy Fast. “He’s a quiet spoken and thoughtful man, but when he speaks he commands attention. It’s a great quality for a coach and a judge.”

Fast said what she admires most about Brady is his ability to balance his professional career, volunteering, and family life.

“He works all day, volunteers at night, then goes home and helps with a horse farm and six kids,” Fast said. “He does everything in such a way that he is never distracted. He’s completely involved in what he is doing at that moment. He’s incredibly dedicated and focused.”

Brady has four children at the Academy and two attend Hillsdale College. His wife, Lois, works at the hospital.

Brady grew up in Saginaw, Mich. and earned his bachelor’s degree in political science from Elma College. However, in 1983 the economy was rough and teaching jobs were difficult to find, so Brady decided to continue his education at Thomas Cooley Law School. He graduated three years later and accepted a job as a clerk with bailiff responsibilities in Jackson County while he worked to pass the bar exam.

It was then that an assistant prosecutor position opened in Jackson County, and Brady worked there for three years. He wanted to be a public servant, but never thought he could fulfill that desire as a prosecutor.

“The best part is when you use your talents and power to help individuals,” Brady said. “You feel it when you talk about one person. You don’t feel it when you talk in generalities. But when I have a face, a name, and a cause with a name, then that’s what is most satisfying about it. The hard part is that it’s not always easy. Quite often, it’s difficult to satisfy victims and to console people who can’t be consoled. Sometimes you walk away neutral and disappointed.”

In January 1994, Hillsdale County Prosecutor Michael Smith offered Brady a position as his assistant prosecutor. In 1996, Smith ran for Hillsdale County Circuit Court Judge, leaving the prosecutor seat open, so Brady ran for it and won.

In almost two decades as Hillsdale County Prosecutor, Brady said he has seen sprees of various crimes. In 2003, he and the police force began dealing with methamphetamine.

“I don’t know that there was a law on the books specifically to prosecute methamphetamine,” Brady said. “Then it became an epidemic. The police and I were all learning at the same time about this particular drug, its processes, and other crimes that sort of spin off from the drug.”

The most unexpected aspect of being a prosecuting attorney is helping a defendant with a specific need.

“I am able to understand and tailor a disposition that requires them to be accountable yet heal themselves,” Brady said. “So sometimes it’s not the victims we are helping, it’s those who are being charged. They are not all bad people. Some of them need help. They can’t always get it through a court appointed defense attorney. They need the help of a concerned prosecutor.”