In the next 10 days, Hillsdale College Security and ITS plan to finish a software upgrade of every ID card reader on campus.
The new software, called C­Cure 9000, is more com­patible with ITS’ data­bases than the old software. The data­bases contain which stu­dents have access to which buildings. For instance, the database would inform the software that a sophomore woman who lived in the Suites could use her ID to enter the Suites, Kendall Hall, Grewcock Student Union, and other places on campus.

C­Cure 9000 has fewer parts in its hardware. NOVIS used edge con­trollers and door con­trollers to com­mu­nicate with the software. C­Cure hardware has only one platform. Stu­dents and faculty, however, will not see any physical changes. The readers will remain and allow access by touching an ID to them.

Director of ITS Patrick Char­trand said C­Cure 9000 is designed for business enter­prises.
Security and ITS started last year to plan for upgrades in the system. They tried dif­ferent
products and com­panies before choosing the new software.
“It’s the right product for Hillsdale,” he said. “The Uni­versity of Michigan uses it. It’s really reliable.” C­Cure 9000 also offers better mea­sures for campus pro­tection. Once the security office has

the new software, they will detect if doors are forced open and see what cards have opened doors.
“It’s not Big Brother,” Director of Security Bill Whorley said. “As with any­thing security does, we are just trying to best protect stu­dents and faculty.”

For two weeks before spring break, stu­dents could not access the union from the card reader on the east side of the building.
“Stu­dents wanted me to let them in the other door, because they were worried they would be locked out,” said senior Brett Pasche, a Grewcock Student Union monitor.

Recent problems with the card readers in the union encouraged security and ITS to start the change earlier.
“Having break helped,” Whorley said. “We were able to push up Grewcock’s update and start on

the classroom buildings. It’s coming along well.”
While dor­mi­tories are ren­o­vated, Whorley said that plans exist to equip every building with a card reader. If a threat occurred, with a press of a button in the security office, all of campus would be locked.
Though the new system will elim­inate glitches that ID cards have had in the past, there may be some problems. Saga workers have already had trouble accessing the door near their loading dock. Char­trand said that ITS will fix the reader shortly.
If an ID card fails to open doors, security will print a new one without a fee.Whorley encourages stu­dents and faculty to inform the security office if they expe­rience issues with the readers.
“If we don’t know there’s a problem, we can’t fix it,” he said.