Drop-In Center opens location in Hillsdale

Home City News Drop-In Center opens location in Hillsdale

The corner of Monroe and Hillsdale streets has sat unoccupied since the closure of the Victorian Rose Flower Shoppe. In January, LifeWays, a community mental health agency based in Jackson, Mich., moved its Hillsdale Drop-In Center into this once vacant building.

A drop-in center is a transitional place that delivers social support for individuals in the community suffering from emotional and mental health problems. Daily activities provide members of the community with a safe environment to develop friendships, socialization, courage, and decision-making skills.

Director of the Drop-In Center and former attendee Thomas Barns, spoke about the program’s success and the positive impact it’s had on his life.

“I’ve been coming to the drop-in since I was 18,” Barns said. “I enjoyed hanging out with other people who had similar experiences to what I was going through.”

LifeWays provides mental health services to individuals living in Jackson or Hillsdale counties. Generally, drop-in centers partner with communities to inspire and equip individuals for a journey towards wellness.

The Hillsdale Drop-In Center is one of two centers funded by LifeWays where activities and daily tasks are run entirely by volunteers.

Volunteer Amber Nowlin explained that the new facility has given the team more space to work with.

“We had an old building across from the Finish Line for quite a while but we needed more space. We had limited capacity with the two levels because it wasn’t handicap accessible,” Nowlin said. “Now we have that accessibility giving us offices, meeting rooms, and activity space.”

The center offers free laundry, internet, television, activities, crafts, field trips, and weekly meals throughout the year.

“We are hoping that this facility will get us more members. We are now out in the open where people can see us,’’ Nowlin said.

The majority of activities are funded through LifeWays. However, funding for specific projects have been made available through multiple grants.

On May 17, The Hillsdale Drop-In Center will host an open house to connect with the community and gain volunteer support.

“We are trying to work on partnerships with local business in the communities,” Nowlin said. “We hope to get some community support. We are looking for volunteers or people who are interested in helping us out for summer.”