$10,500 given for Centralhallapalooza

Home News $10,500 given for Centralhallapalooza

Student Federation gave $10,500 to the Student Activities Board for this year’s Centralhallapalooza. The funds will be used to pay for the usual attractions and food. SAB will use its own budget to bring in a famous musician as this year’s surprise attraction.
Secretary and junior Annie Teigen said Student Fed will also be co­sponsoring the event.
“SAB is having a famous band come in, but we don’t know which one,” Teigen said. “Because of the extra costs that go along with that, they’re using a lot of their budget on that. We passed the funding with the stipulation that Student Fed would be named as a co­sponsor.”
By granting the funds, Student Fed is helping to make Centralhallapalooza possible.
“Student Fed is doing us a big service,” said SAB officer senior Haley Johnson. “They’ll definitely be on all of our promotions as co­sponsor.”
Director of Student Activities Amanda Bigney said usually SAB doesn’t request so much money, but this year, Centralhallapalooza is going to be bigger than ever.
“Typically, we go to Student Fed for Centrahallapalooza, but, typically, we only ask for $3,000 or $4,000,” Bigney said. “We didn’t go to them last year for this event, so we were kind of thinking and hoping that since we didn’t go to them last year because we budgeted really well, we might get a little leeway this year.”
“We’re trying to bring in someone and use our funds for that, and it’s not cheap,” Bigney said. “And because we wanted to make this the biggest and the best Centralhallapalooza that has

been, it just ended up costing a lot more money. Having Student Fed for help is taking a huge load off of our budget so that we can focus more on the entertainment part.”
Johnson said she’s wanted to bring in a famous artist for Centralhallapalooza since her freshman year.

“We really wanted to revamp Centralhallapalooza and go bigger and redesign it,” Johnson said. “We decided we wanted to go bigger by bringing a celebrity in. That’s something I’ve wanted to do since my freshman year. We’ve always had one big surprise attraction. Since freshman year, I thought, what if we could get a person to be the surprise instead of an attraction? We tried to do it last year, but we started too late in the game.”

Even though bringing in a celebrity is expensive, Johnson said SAB wanted to make sure Centralhallapalooza still had all of the attractions and entertainment from previous years. “We didn’t want to lose the other things people love about Centralhallapalooza, like the inflatables, the attractions, the free food, and even things like student bands performing,” Johnson said. “We didn’t want to lose anything just because we took this step.”

Johnson also said the food will be handled differently this year. In the past, Saga Inc. catering provided the food for Centralhallapalooza, but this year, SAB is bringing in other caterers. “We are allowed to go outside of Saga for this,” Johnson said. “So we’re getting some Saga catering, but we’re also going to branch out and get food trucks from other restaurants.