In their second Grand Valley State Uni­versity meet of the semester on Feb. 14 – 15, both the men’s and women’s track and field teams had members qualify for pro­vi­sional marks and break per­sonal records in several events.

“The women’s team did really, really well, and it was a really strong meet for us across the board,” women’s head coach Andrew Towne said. “All around it was a really great week for us, and for next week we’re just trying to get ready and make final prepa­ra­tions for the GLIAC cham­pi­onships.”

The women’s team made high marks in a variety of events, and almost broke the school record in the 4x400-meter relay. The team com­posed of freshmen Allison Duber and Jessica Hurley, and sopho­mores Danielle Gagne and Corinne Zehner, ran with a time only .12 seconds below the school record.

“The dis­tance girls specif­i­cally were extremely strong this weekend,” freshman Sarah Benson said. “It’s a great accom­plishment for the team in general when so many girls are per­forming at a national level.”

Duber and fellow freshman Alexandra Whitford received pro­vi­sional marks in the 400-meter and pole vault, respec­tively, as did junior Amy Kerst in the 800-meter. Sopho­mores Emily Oren and Kristina Galat both made pro­vi­sional marks in the mile. The dis­tance medley team of freshman Kathryn Royer, Kerst, Oren, and sophomore Emily Guy also met pro­vi­sional marks and took 6th.

“This meet was probably the best so far this season just because everybody showed up and did really well,” Oren said. “There were a lot of per­sonal bests on the girls’ team; a lot of pro­vi­sional qual­i­fying times and nearly provo times.”

For the men’s team, senior Maurice Jones took second in the 400-meter, breaking his per­sonal record and meeting the pro­vi­sional mark. Junior Joshua Mirth met the pro­vi­sional mark and placed 6th in the 3000-meter, sophomore Matthew Harris took 4th in the the pole vault, senior Brett Dailey 5th in the weight throw, and sophomore Nick Shuster 5th in the high jump. Also, in the 4x400-meter relay, freshman Ty Etchemendy and seniors Jared Van Dyke, Matthew Raffin, and Jones, made the pro­vi­sional mark and received 7th place.

“I think the meet went pretty well. It’s always good when we go to Grand Valley for the big meets. There were over 2,400 ath­letes and there are always a lot of good com­petitors, so you have com­pe­tition,” junior John Wierenga said. “Everyone has com­pe­tition at their level, and everyone rises to the chal­lenge.”

With the GLIAC con­ference meet on the near horizon, the teams are taking on a somewhat lighter meet this week and working on qual­i­fying for nationals.

“The tune-up is a smaller meet focusing on recov­ering, and we’re trying to do some fine-tuning,” men’s head coach Jeff Forino said. “We’re hoping to get some people doing the meet like us, com­peting in one or two events and working on getting some good times and lanes for con­ference the next week.”

The Chargers will be at home this week for the third time this season. The Hillsdale Tune-Up will take place in the Margot V. Biermann Center on Feb. 22. On the fol­lowing weekend, March 1 and 2, Hillsdale will host the con­ference meet.