Ice rink open

Home News Ice rink open

The campus ice rink is now open to novices and skillful skaters alike after a half­month­long delay.
The ice rink has been doing very well since its first day of operation last Friday, according to Cody Eldredge, co­director of campus health and recreation.

“It’s up and good and kicking butt,” he said.
Open from dawn until dusk, the rink will be accessible until spring break or later, if weather

permits.
“It’s quite relieving to have it up and running,” said Director of Student Activities Amanda Bigney. “We are happy to provide it for the students.”
Students can get ice skates with a student ID at the Grewcock Student Union’s front desk, and other equipment for broomball and hockey is available in the Student Activities Office.
The ice rink was originally destined to open at the start of the semester as in previous years. However, its creation was postponed due to difficulties pinning down someone to fill the rink with water.
Although the rink was scheduled to be filled two weeks ago, the Hillsdale Rural Fire Department had to respond to an emergency and was not able to finish the job.
“They came and filled it part of the way before they had to go,” senior Jessica Youngstrom said. Eventually, the Hillsdale Fire Department was called instead and the rink was completed on Feb. 2.
Before the water­filling stage, the rink needed to be assembled and prepared. The Campus Health and Recreation Office, comprised of Youngstrom, Eldredge, and junior Jeff Meyers, manages the funding, construction, maintenance and removal of the ice rink with the help of volunteers.
Eldredge is primarily in charge of managing the rink, but he needed extra assistance to prepare it before the fire department could fill it. “It’s not a one­person job,” Eldredge said.
Formerly stationed in the quad, the rink is now located off Hillsdale Street across from Broadlawn.
Although the rink had been stationed on the quad for less than a decade, the ground surface needed a break from years of continuous use. Bigney said the new location was chosen as an easily accessible site for students hoping to enjoy the winter activity.
Hayden Park had also been considered, but it was ruled out since it would be more difficult for students to walk there in the wintry weather.
“We didn’t want students trekking down there with skates,” Bigney said.