John Banovetz is a Hillsdale College senior who throws for the track team and plays the viola in the Hillsdale College Sym­phony Orchestra. Due to an injury, Banovetz cur­rently only throws shot put, but he hopes to begin com­peting in both shot put and hammer during the approaching outdoor season. Banovetz is the third of four sib­lings who have attended Hillsdale, and he will marry a former Hillsdale thrower on June 21.

Why did you decide to attend Hillsdale?

My older two sib­lings both came here before me, so that had a lot to do with it. Also, the track team and orchestra gave me some good schol­ar­ships which influ­enced the decision.

Why did you get involved in track?

I’ve always been of a bigger stature, so throwing always came kind of nat­u­rally to me, and I’ve always enjoyed it and been rel­a­tively suc­cessful. I started track in 5th or 6th grade, but for a brief period in 7th grade I did sprints.

How long have you been involved in orchestra?

I have been playing viola for 15 to 16 years and orchestra since ele­mentary school. It was some­thing that all of us as kids did — all of my sib­lings play instru­ments. My mom encouraged us to do that.

What is your most mem­o­rable expe­rience with the track team?

Indoor nationals last year. That was a lot of fun. We go for five days, and get to watch all the other top ath­letes in the nation, cheer on our team­mates, and hang out with the coaches. It’s kind of like a vacation, and a lot of fun. Per­sonally, I did very badly, but there are hopes for this season.

What is your biggest goal in track for this year?

My biggest goal would be All-American in any of the events.

How does being involved in both Hillsdale ath­letics and music affect your life?

It makes it busy. I have track practice everyday from 2 to 4 p.m., at least, and orchestra rehearsals for two hours twice a week. Ensemble is an hour a week, and twice each semester, we have con­certs, so concert weeks are really busy.

How did you meet your fiancé?

Adrienne Bigelow was a senior when I was a freshman, and we met because she was also a thrower on the track team. We went on a spring break trip together and it went from there I guess.

What are your and Adrienne’s plans after you graduate?

Right now she is man­aging a con­signment shop in Jonesville and also working some hours at 8 North in Hillsdale. She’s thinking about opening and man­aging her own con­signment shop, but I’m pushing her to become a per­sonal trainer — I think she’d be really good at it, and she could help me stay fit, which would be nice. I’m cur­rently looking for jobs, and we want to move some­where other than the Midwest for at least a few years, since we’ve both lived here for all of our lives.

Would you like to con­tinue in track after college?

I would def­i­nitely like to coach at a high school or maybe at a college some­where.

-Com­piled by Macaela Bennett

Previous articleAll you need is love?
Next articleStand with Israel
Macaela Bennett
Collegian editor-in-chief, Macaela J. Bennett grew up in the Pumpkin Capital of the World, Morton, Illinois. In May, she will join The Arizona Republic as a 2016 Pulliam Fellow, working at its News Desk reporting on Metro/Breaking News. In the past, she's interned for The East Peoria Times Courier, Campus Reform, The Town Crier, and The Tennessean. Outside of the newsroom, she enjoys playing soccer, hiking, running, and cheering on the Cubs.