Charger Chatter: John Banovetz

Home Sports Charger Chatter: John Banovetz

John Banovetz is a Hillsdale College senior who throws for the track team and plays the viola in the Hillsdale College Symphony Orchestra. Due to an injury, Banovetz currently only throws shot put, but he hopes to begin competing in both shot put and hammer during the approaching outdoor season. Banovetz is the third of four siblings who have attended Hillsdale, and he will marry a former Hillsdale thrower on June 21.

Why did you decide to attend Hillsdale?

My older two siblings both came here before me, so that had a lot to do with it. Also, the track team and orchestra gave me some good scholarships which influenced the decision.

Why did you get involved in track?

I’ve always been of a bigger stature, so throwing always came kind of naturally to me, and I’ve always enjoyed it and been relatively successful. I started track in 5th or 6th grade, but for a brief period in 7th grade I did sprints.

How long have you been involved in orchestra?

I have been playing viola for 15 to 16 years and orchestra since elementary school. It was something that all of us as kids did — all of my siblings play instruments. My mom encouraged us to do that.

What is your most memorable experience with the track team?

Indoor nationals last year. That was a lot of fun. We go for five days, and get to watch all the other top athletes in the nation, cheer on our teammates, and hang out with the coaches. It’s kind of like a vacation, and a lot of fun. Personally, I did very badly, but there are hopes for this season.

What is your biggest goal in track for this year?

My biggest goal would be All-American in any of the events.

How does being involved in both Hillsdale athletics and music affect your life?

It makes it busy. I have track practice everyday from 2 to 4 p.m., at least, and orchestra rehearsals for two hours twice a week. Ensemble is an hour a week, and twice each semester, we have concerts, so concert weeks are really busy.

How did you meet your fiancé?

Adrienne Bigelow was a senior when I was a freshman, and we met because she was also a thrower on the track team. We went on a spring break trip together and it went from there I guess.

What are your and Adrienne’s plans after you graduate?

Right now she is managing a consignment shop in Jonesville and also working some hours at 8 North in Hillsdale. She’s thinking about opening and managing her own consignment shop, but I’m pushing her to become a personal trainer — I think she’d be really good at it, and she could help me stay fit, which would be nice. I’m currently looking for jobs, and we want to move somewhere other than the Midwest for at least a few years, since we’ve both lived here for all of our lives.

Would you like to continue in track after college?

I would definitely like to coach at a high school or maybe at a college somewhere.

-Compiled by Macaela Bennett