Career services changes DC trip

Home News Career services changes DC trip

Career Services recently made changes to their informational trip for students Living and Working in D.C., – now known as Networking in D.C.

Career Services decided to restructure and rename the program to incorporate Allan P. Kirby Jr. Center resources that they have acquired over the past few years.

“It was inaugurated before the Kirby Center was up and running, so part of our idea of reforming it is to have it better fit it with the Kirby Center.” Keith Miller, assistant director of Career Services said.

Assistant Director of the Kirby Center Craig Kreinbihl said the resources that the Kirby Center has to offer have grown through connections made in Washington, D.C.

“As the Kirby center has grown more over the past few years, we have a lot of relationships and natural resources in Washington that we can take advantage of,” Kreinbihl said.

In addition to taking advantage of Kirby Center resources, Career Services has also tried to focus on networking and less on sending students to job shadow.

“In previous years, it has been very focused on job shadows, which has not been as great as we would have liked. We have moved away from that and have more of a series of informational meeting where students tour an office on Capitol Hill or one of the think tanks or an organization. They will talk to the HR people and a couple of the experts there. It will be more focused on networking events than individual job shadows. That is one of our big shifts,” Miller said.

Sophomore Macaela Bennett, a student affairs mentor in Career Services, said her experience on the trip last year helped her create connections.

“I think the most helpful part for most students was just having a taste that this is real life,” Bennett said.

The trip will be Jan. 8-9 and will cost $350.  This year, Career Services hopes to have as many as 20 students come.