Lul­ulemon, the ground­breaking company in the skin-tight lycra-pant movement, faces backlash from women claiming the quality of its yoga pants has decreased dra­mat­i­cally, according to USA Today. No one likes her seams ripping when she hits the gym, grocery store, class, or work.

But wait — when did yoga pants become a sub­stitute for tai­lored slacks? Better yet, when did t‑shirts, sneakers, and jeans transform into “business casual” attire? Why are Amer­icans opposed to dressing up?

According to a 2007 Gallup poll, 28 percent of American workers said they wore street clothes to work. In com­parison, nine percent wore formal business attire including suits and skirts. Other workers wore “business casual” or “uniform” attire.

Today, people wear yoga pants and leg­gings with any­thing from t‑shirts to flouncy blouses. Why dress up when you can dress down?

Some pro­fes­sional women, such as Jocelyn Herz, senior vice pres­ident of Colin Cowie Lifestyle, wear their yoga pants all the time according to theNew York Times.

“If your entire outfit looks very chic, there’s no reason not to,” she said.

But, Clinton Kelly, famous TLC “What not to Wear” host, said on his bio page that his biggest pet peeve was the “‘casu­al­ization’ of America.”

“Don’t get me wrong — casual wear is important, and can be fun and stylish,” Kelly said. “However, on the whole, we’ve stopped caring about what clothing is appro­priate for a given sit­u­ation. Just a few examples: flip-flops are never appro­priate for work (unless you work in a spa); pajamas are not appro­priate for the super­market (unless you’ve got the flu and nobody else on the planet is willing to shop for you).”

Hillsdale is a fairly classy school. Ladies don heels and men sport button downs often. But not even Hillsdale is immune to the over-casu­al­ization of the age.

There are pic­tures around campus of ladies cheering on the football team wearing dresses, gloves and hats worthy of Kate Mid­dleton. The men look dapper in sports coats and ties. Today, half the men show up shirtless while girls wear yoga pants and Charger-blue t‑shirts.

There’s nothing wrong with gym-appro­priate attire. No one needs to get their panties in a ruffle over leg­gings under rea­sonable-length skirts. These articles of clothing have their place.

Today, if you work for the Grounds crew or Saga, you should wear jeans and a t‑shirt during your shift. However, just like we study Great Books for the sake of our future careers, we should dress for class in a way that pre­pares us for our futures.

Perhaps the problem of yoga pants ripping at the seams reflects how the adulthood of the Mil­lennial gen­er­ation is falling apart. The problem isn’t within the tight weave of lycra, but in the attitude of America’s twenty-some­things.

“If it’s a casual day and you’re just working in your office and you’re pregnant and you can’t find any­thing else to fit, maybe yoga pants are acceptable,” Kat Griffin editor of Cor­porette, a fashion blog, said to the New York Times. “But for everyone else, really, get a pair of pants.”

Hillsdale prides itself in tra­dition — we rally together crying, “strength rejoices in the chal­lenge!” Here’s your chal­lenge, Hills­dalians: strip the sweats! And maybe after all this liberal arts edu­cation, we might actually get jobs.