Movember: staches for a cause

Home Sports Movember: staches for a cause
Movember: staches for a cause

When someone decides to become a walking billboard, the first thing that comes to mind would be something ostentatious: an actual sign, an eye-catching shirt, or a hat. But what if that billboard were attached to the body? It could be a tattoo or piercing or, as the idea behind Movember goes, advertising by facial hair.

The “HC Stache Bros” marks the first Movember team based out of Hillsdale College, and brags 20 moustachioed members. The team is captained by senior PJ Cooley, who started the team with his housemates. Movember then rapidly spread to his baseball teammates and then to other students and faculty on campus.

The annual event was conceived in Australia in 2003 and spans the month of November. It revolves around growing “mos,” the Australian slang for mustache, to raise awareness and funds for men’s health, specifically prostate and testicular cancer.

“It started as a sort of joke at my house,” Cooley said, “but then some of us thought why not start a team and do it for a good cause. I’ve always known about it – you know, as ‘no-shave-November’ – but I looked into it more and I know a number of guys who have family and friends who have survived it, so it’s sort of a big deal to us.”

Just over halfway through the month, the HC Stache Bros have raised $558 in donations that will go to research, education, and recovery programs for serious men’s health issues. Cooley said the team’s goal for the month is $1,000, though they are at a bit of a standstill for the time being.

“It’s mostly baseball guys right now, but I keep telling people if they want to get involved just to get in touch with me or others on the team,” he said. “The website especially stresses that it isn’t just limited to guys and that guys are ‘Mo-Bros’ and girls are ‘Mo-Sistas.’ Anyone can join and support.”

Part of the challenge and the fun is determining how to wear the mo, varying anywhere from probably-shouldn’t-be-growing-a-mustache to trying crazy mustache styles. But the purpose behind it still revolves around and bears in mind the concerns of men’s health. The United States member campaign raised about $21 million in 2012 alone, according to their website.

“It hits home for a lot of people,” assistant baseball coach Gordon Theisen said, “and I know that it’s not about me, but I’m having my prostate removed in a few weeks. About one in every three adult men suffer from prostate cancer, so it is a pretty close issue for a lot of people.”

Shortly after they started the team, Cooley and friends talked to the baseball team and coaches, many of whom chose to join the team and donate to the cause. The main way of spreading the phenomenon is by wearing the mo and talking to others who inquire, which is especially effective for men who seldom, perhaps with reason, grow out their facial hair.

“They’re raising awareness for men’s health and testicular and prostate cancer, which is a big deal for a lot of people,” baseball head coach Eric Theisen said. “It’s nice to see them joining that fight.”