YAF celebrates freedom

Home News YAF celebrates freedom

Young Americans for Freedom will host their second annual Freedom Week starting Monday to commemorate the fall of the Berlin Wall. YAF will allow students to graffiti and tear down a 40 foot long, 12 foot high wall placed on the Quad.

“We are trying to do the same thing, to get students back involved and tear down apathy,” YAF Vice Chairman Phil Wegmann said. “You have to take ownership of your education and take what you learned in the classroom and put it to work.”

Student Federation will vote Oct. 31 on YAF’s request for $355 to fund the event. During lunch, students can pay $1 to graffiti the wall on Nov. 7 and $2 to take a sledgehammer to the wall on Nov. 8.

“This is a good opportunity for people to see the effects of being conservative and celebrate a lot of victories in the cause,” Wegmann said.

YAF is showing the conservative documentary “Agenda” on Nov. 12 as part of Freedom Week.

“The movie is basically talking about progressive, socialist, and communist influences in the United States in the last 100 years,” YAF President Nathan Brand said.

YAF is only in its second year as a club on campus. According to Brand, the club went from approximately 40 active members last year to about 100 this year. The club is young, mostly sophomores and freshmen and no seniors.

“YAF is a great avenue for you to say ‘hey I’m a conservative, I stand for these principles, and I want to make a change,” Brand said.