Tennis takes 6th at GLIACs

Home Sports Tennis takes 6th at GLIACs

The Hillsdale College women’s tennis team fell in its third match of the GLIAC Conference Tournament to Walsh University by a score of 5-4 on Sunday, placing them in sixth for the season.

Sophomore Sydney Delp and junior Morgan Delp received second team All-GLIAC Conference Honors, and sophomore Lindsay Peirce received honorable mention awards.

Starting out on Friday, Hillsdale lost 5-1 to the number three seed Tiffin University. The lone win came from the first doubles duo of Delp and Delp, who went undefeated for the weekend.

In Saturday’s second round, Hillsdale won with a 5-3 defeat over Ashland University. Wins came from the Delps at doubles, their respective first and second singles, and from the third-set thrillers of Peirce (fourth singles) and sophomore Rachel Blaauw (sixth singles).

Although the Chargers did not improve their fifth-place team ranking from last year, head coach Nikki Walbright said that they continued to improve and play better throughout the weekend.

“Even though our standing didn’t improve, I was extremely pleased with how we played our final match,” Walbright said.  “I think the team feels like we ended on a high note.”

First and third doubles (the team of Blaauw and freshman Dana Grace Buck) won, along with third singles (Buck) and sixth singles (freshman Sarah Krizman).

Not only did the athletic aspect of the tournament contribute to the team’s overall satisfaction with their performance, but the sportsmanship and support of their teammates made the tournament feel “like a big win.”

“We were the last team playing so every other team in the GLIAC got to witness how much spirit and support we have at Hillsdale,” Walbright said.

Peirce said it is the support of the team that keeps her motivated and focused.

“We all know that we are fighting and playing for one another and not just for ourselves. That is one of the things that helps me work that much harder,” Peirce said.

Now with the season complete, the team looks forward to a small break and then offseason training and a chance to prepare for the upcoming spring season, which will include match-ups with DI schools like Western Michigan University and some in Florida during a spring break trip.

“Every member has a lot to work on in the offseason and I think everyone is motivated to do so since we were very close in our last match,” Walbright said. “We are so young and this season was a lot about maturing. When we were focused and gave our best effort we won. I am confident that there is no player in our conference we don’t have the ability to beat.”

Pierce agrees.

“We know what we need to work on and what we need to do to step it up.”