Simpson wins Homecoming

Home News Simpson wins Homecoming
Simpson wins Homecoming

The winners of last week’s homecoming festivities are cashing in on the prizes and enjoying the fame, while others are simply enjoying a break after an exciting week.

Amanda Bigney, director of student activities, said that the top three teams, Simpson, McIntyre, and Olds residences are awarded cash prizes of $300, $200, and $100, respectively.

The Simpson team, which was second only to McIntyre in the Mock Rock competition, will have its name placed on the homecoming cup for the third year in a row. Olds clinched third place in both Mock Rock and the overall spirit competition.

For participating, all teams will receive a poster of their spirit photo as a consolation prize to place in their residences.

Bigney said that she believes homecoming was a great success, and that the competition fueled intense school spirit and participation.

“I think overall it was really good,” Bigney said. “I think the competitiveness got a little crazy towards the end, which it always kind of does, but I think this year was especially competitive.”

Bigney said that she was skeptical at first about the `80s themed homecoming, but it turned out making the week all the more creative.

“A lot of the people took it on and they owned it, and they came up with really creative ideas whether it be through music, costume, etc.,” she said.

Senior and recently-crowned homecoming king Garrett Holt said that he was excited and proud to a part of Simpson’s three-year winning streak. He said that their success was due to hard work and dorm unity.

“We get all the freshmen up at five each morning take them into the wilderness and do different life-threatening tasks, such as tiger pits and bear traps,” Holt said. “On the legal side of things, it’s mostly just being able to get the word out and giving them an idea, giving them some kind of image, giving them ideas that they can grasp onto.”

Holt said he was glad homecoming took place earlier this year because it gave the dorm a chance build up community.

Joyce Curby, coordinator of alumni events, said that the alumni also participated in different games and competitions. The best tailgate was awarded to the Chi Omega alumni, who have won for the last three years.

“They come back every year, and it’s huge!” Joyce said.