Dear Editor,

I am writing to express dis­sat­is­faction with the columnist who wrote “The story of a Baptist in the wild” and “Blue Gatorade, melan­choly post­cards, and the soul.”  Although the most recent article was less con­cerning than the first, both exhibit a sense of supe­ri­ority in the writer’s voice. I take issue with both articles because the content and style of writing is dam­aging to Chris­tianity.

The author of these columns describes his expe­rience working with a Christian min­istry. However, the writer describes his peers based on their prac­tical, physical, and moral defects. In his first piece, he mocks the program director’s lack of talent with tech­nology, describes one person as “a four hundred pound woman cud­dling a double-double,” and describes another woman, Natalie, as “a cross-eyed, illegal immi­grant.” In the most recent article, the writer refers to the “ex-cons” intro­duced in the pre­vious article, and further elab­o­rates on Natalie’s appearance by describing “the red dots that ran like angry fire ants across her face,” as well as “the tattoos on her chest.”

Fur­thermore, the author never men­tions any physical or moral faults of his own, but seems to look down on those around him. In the first article, the author speaks about “the elo­quence [his] voice would assume” when writing letters home. In the second article, he describes how Natalie was “looking at me as though I were that unnamed person for whom she had prayed her entire life.” In addition, the writer seems unhappy about being with these people, hence, “melan­choly post­cards.”

We live in a world where those who do not have a rela­tionship with Christ view Chris­tians as self-righteous and out of touch. It is critical that Chris­tians treat broken people with love and accep­tance, no matter what physical defects they have or what they may have done in the past. Jesus spent his life on Earth showing love to the people for­gotten in society and didn’t focus only on the faults of each person.

I am a broken, fallen human. We are all fallen, and Chris­tians must never forget that.  If the people this author is referring to ever found out that he was describing them this way, I would be mor­tified. When Christian’s put other people down because of their faults while for­getting their own defects, this poisons any effort to share the love of Christ with others.

Austin Tallman ’14

Dear Editor,

Vic­toria McCaffrey’s article (“Rock n’ Roll Is Noise Pol­lution”) dis­turbed me greatly. The claim that rock n’ roll is, in fact, noise pol­lution and not just an AC/DC song couldn’t be further from the truth. When looking at some of the biggest hits over the years, yes, some of them are overly sexual, but the medium is not limited to songs strictly about sex. It can even have a pos­itive influence on lis­teners.

The most notable example that comes to mind is the band Minor Threat. Many people are probably unfa­miliar with Minor Threat, but they were a hardcore punk band in the 1980s that spawned a movement that changed the lives of many ado­les­cents for the better. In 1981, Minor Threat released the song “Straight Edge.” Unlike many songs that came before it, “Straight Edge” was not about sex, drugs, or any other stereo­typical rock n’ roll theme. In fact, it was about the opposite. The lyrics encourage lis­teners to abstain from drugs, alcohol, and cig­a­rettes. Although only 45 seconds long, “Straight Edge” has a devout cult fol­lowing that con­tinues its ethos to this day.

This song, along with hun­dreds of others that I dis­covered during my ado­les­cence, helped shape the person I’ve grown to be. Minor Threat is only one example of the pos­itive influence that is out there. Music is a won­derful thing and can be about so much more than sex. If you look in the right places, you can find edi­fying music today.

Tim Brox­terman ’16

Dear Editor,

I appre­ciated the article “‘Townie’ Dehu­manizes Hillsdale Res­i­dents” by Savannah Tib­betts for a number of reasons.

As a “townie,” I have often been a little insulted by that title over the years because of the con­no­tation that I was “sub­human” because I chose to live in Hillsdale.  My father is a Hillsdale College graduate. He was a two-time All-American football player in the late 50′s and was inducted into the Ath­letic Hall of Fame last May at the college. Because of his ties here, we moved back in 1967 so he could teach and coach at Hillsdale College. I have lived in the area ever since.

I have had several man­agement posi­tions in the area and have owned a business here. Your article struck a chord with me because of a par­ticular incident that hap­pened about 8 years ago at the end-of-the-year party on the hill.  A locally-owned ice cream company, for which I was Quality Assurance Manager, was sup­plying ice cream for the event. I was dipping it vol­un­tarily. One of the stu­dents came up to me and said, “This is for the stu­dents only. Do not give any to the townies.”

Needless to say, that comment didn’t go over well with me. I answered as politely as I could, “You mean like me?” After trying to backpedal and explain away what she said, the young lady left.

I have been around long enough to know that she did not speak for the entire Hillsdale College student body. I also know that there is some ani­mosity from locals toward Hillsdale stu­dents, mainly because of similar inci­dents to the one I described. I believe Savannah’s article is a nec­essary reminder that we who live in Hillsdale are people, with all the dreams, struggles, and values which that brings.

I have always believed that Hillsdale stu­dents and the people that live in Hillsdale would both be better served if we could work together.  Hillsdale College is at the top of the list of assets to this area. Because of its high stan­dards and expec­ta­tions (which speaks well of the people of the college), I would hope that the stu­dents would take the high road and make it their mission to help us turn our com­munity around so that we could all enjoy those same stan­dards and expec­ta­tions around the college, not just in it. To say it’s merely a choice people who live in Hillsdale make, to live with lower expec­ta­tions, is naive and over-sim­plifies the reality that people need patient guidance to be able to make good choices. Thank you again for printing that article. I hope it accom­plishes the goals for which it was written.

David L. Trippett Jr.