Letter to the editor: Prof. Charles N. Steele

Home Opinion Letter to the editor: Prof. Charles N. Steele

Dear Editor,

Chris Boyajian, in “Why Cruz is the only only RINO we should worry about,” has a rather strange interpretation of Sen. Ted Cruz’ heroic efforts to block the funding of the Affordable Care Act.  But I do think he makes an extremely important point that is right on target.  Cruz certainly places many things above the Republican Party — for example, principles of liberty and the U.S. Constitution.  That’s as it should be.  That’s his job, not party loyalty.  Hence I’m not at all worried about Cruz.

On the other hand, party leaders like Sen. John McCain and Sen. Lindsey Graham violate their oaths of office daily and appear to be quite happy compromising with the president as he takes us down the road to despotism.  Maybe that somehow favors their personal careers and the Republican Party’s fortunes, but why should I care about furthering those ends?

I’m an American citizen who believes in individual liberty, who thinks government should be very strictly limited, and who thinks it currently dangerously off the rails and a genuine threat to us all.  That’s all I care about.  I don’t give a damn about the Republican Party or its well-being.  If the party leadership refuses to fight against the growing tyranny in Washington and instead abets it, they are as much our enemies as any of the rest of the pack of collectivist-statists in D.C.

Sincerely,

Charles N. Steele, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Economics

Hillsdale College