Dear Editor,

Perhaps the most infor­mative sen­tence in Chris Boyajian’s piece last week “Why Cruz is the only RINO we should worry about” was its opening line: “Repub­lican lead­ership took another hit from the con­ser­v­ative wing of the Repub­lican Party with the resur­facing of the ‘Defund Oba­macare’ ini­tiative last week and Sen. Ted Cruz’s sub­se­quent jump into the national spot­light.” While the two-party system cer­tainly allows for broad def­i­n­i­tions of political leanings, each party’s ide­ology tends to be agreed upon, at least from a top-level per­spective. The Repub­lican Party is sup­posed to be con­ser­v­ative. There is no con­ser­v­ative wing of the Repub­lican Party, they are all conservatives.

Cur­rently a crisis is raging inside the Repub­lican Party over what it means to be a con­ser­v­ative today. In  that crisis, the strong leaders of the not-too-distant neocon past are quickly losing ground to more tra­di­tional con­ser­v­a­tives. Thus the party lacks a center of gravity. But Repub­licans are well on their way to re-estab­lishing one. Sen. Ted Cruz appears to be an emerging voice in the national party, and he has become so largely at the expense of the Repub­lican House lead­ership as well as that of the Senate.

To call Ted Cruz a self-aggran­dizing RINO is like saying that George Wash­ington was an egoist. Leaders are leaders for a reason.

“It’s a Won­derful Life” shows how a man with the ability to lead can have the spot­light thrust upon him. When George Bailey realized he alone could save the Bailey Building and Loan Asso­ci­ation as its chairman, he became the auto­matic center of celebrity in Bedford Falls. He took the chair­manship to revi­talize an orga­ni­zation vitally important to the towns­people, not to chase honor and glory.

If Sen. Ted Cruz is the only one who is willing to truly grab the bull by the horns and actually con­front the issues, he shouldn’t be attacked for attempting to rock the boat in a bid for per­sonal success. He should be praised for his fortitude.

Luke Adams ’16