KKG Swamp Stomp on Saturday

Home News KKG Swamp Stomp on Saturday

The annual Kappa Kappa Gamma Swamp Stomp is set to take place at 11 on Saturday morning at Hayden Park. The theme for this year’s race is “Stomp out Hunger”.

All of the proceeds from the race will be donated to King’s Kupboard, a local food pantry to help local people in need.

The race, a two-mile course filled with ten obstacles designed by Bill Lundberg and Jeffery Rogers, is open to the public in an effort to get as many participants as possible.

The first half-mile of the course is uphill and then will lead the racers into ten obstacles until the final portion, which is a downhill to the finish line. Some of the obstacles are repeats from previous Swamp Stomps but some have never been seen before.

Lundberg said his favorite obstacle is a toss-up between the hay mountain or the water pits with dirt mounds in front of them that you have to climb over.

This is the third straight KKG Swamp Stomp that is taking place at Hayden Park.

“It is great to have our own course because we can do whatever we want with it and not have to worry about some the things we would need to if we didn’t have our own,” Lundberg said.

“Our goal is to have around 75 participants in the race,” Mary Kate Kibbe said.

There is a registration table in the Grewcock Student Union during lunch so people can sign up. The sign-up fee for individual participants before the race is $10 and $15 for race day registration. Teams can sign up for $30 before the race and $50 on race day.

Kappa is accepting donations for those who would like to give in the effort to stomp out hunger but not run. There is a cookout after the race with food provided by Saga, Inc.