Hillsdale did not always charge on

Home Sports Hillsdale did not always charge on

Hillsdale’s athletic teams were not always known as the Chargers.

In fact, until May of 1968, they were known as the Hillsdale Dales. An article from the Collegian in 1968 titled “Students OK Chargers” by Yvonne Mackern tells of how the change came about.

In 1915, the Detroit Free Press suggested the nickname “Chargers” in an article and the nickname remained in the mind of Hillsdalians for decades after. Hillsdale decided to officially change the school’s mascot from the Dale to the Charger by way of student votes in 1968.

The name change was almost a unanimous decision, as there were 398 student votes for the change and only 56 against it.

The process in deciding on the Chargers took about a year. The name possibilities had to be narrowed down from 900 potential names to just one before the final vote.

Also, in order to be able to be called the Chargers, the college had to get approval from the San Diego Chargers, a team in the National Football League.

San Diego agreed on Hillsdale’s use of the name and the change was endorsed by school administration, the Hillsdale College alumni executive board, the Hillsdale College Varsity Alumni Association, the athletic department and a majority of the students.

The 1968 football season was the debut of the name change. It was also the first time in school history that the college had a fight song.

In a story about the change, the Collegian asked legendary coach Frank (Muddy) Waters his opinion on the matter. He supported the change, then added: “After all, what is a Dale?”