First phase of sports complex renovation complete

Home Sports First phase of sports complex renovation complete

Renovations for the first phase of construction at the Roche Sports Complex have been completed. The fitness center and remaining courts are currently expected to be available to all students by Oct. 7.

Chief Administrative Officer Rich Péwé said that construction has gone well and that the only missing components are a few back-ordered items including plates for benches and squat racks.

“As soon as the floor cures, we can open [the fitness center and courts] up,” Péwé said.

With the new fitness center in place, students will be able to take advantage of brand new equipment purchased by the college, Athletic Director Don Brubacher said. Close to a dozen treadmills and ellipticals are just a taste of the aerobics equipment students can expect to see.

“There will still be times I suppose when someone will have to wait for a piece of aerobics equipment but it’s going to be a lot rarer than it used to be,” Brubacher said. “Everything is brand new…it all has warranty and we’re very fortunate the college purchased very good equipment. It’s as good as you can find.”

With the first court already finished, the volleyball and basketball teams have already had time to practice on it, albeit under supervision since the arena is still a construction zone, Brubacher said.

“It’s just a safety issue but the basketball team has been able to get some time in there and the volleyball team has practiced on there for about two weeks now.”

Reception of the court has been overwhelmingly positive thus far, which Brubacher said should be a continuing trend for the rest of campus as each piece becomes available.

“It’s bouncy, springy, and just feels great,” he said.

Senior basketball player Anthony Manno said that the new court is a refreshing change for the team. With new facilities that rival those of bigger schools with thousands of students, he expressed his hope that they will attract more recruits to sports and draw more spectators to the games.

“Aesthetically, the court is just beautiful,” Manno said. “It’s been great because all we’ve really known is playing on the old wood court, but this was built on concrete and now the court has some springs in it which really takes off a lot of pressure on our joints.”

Senior volleyball player Caitlin Kopmeyer expressed relief that multiple teams will now be able to practice at the same time with the addition of the new courts. The girls’ volleyball team will play its first game inside the new arena this Friday.

Future construction may occur after graduation if another $2.7 million is raised. Some of the tentative projects include rock-climbing walls, squash courts, and a second floor on top of the fitness center with removable walls.

“It is for the students who enjoy physical activities,” Brubacher said. “It’s going to be like a candy shop when the doors just open.”