Baseball suits up for Halloween

Home Sports Baseball suits up for Halloween
Baseball suits up for Halloween

Following a trend set on Youtube by universities such as Arizona State and Alabama State, the Hillsdale Baseball team dressed up in costumes for an intrasquad game yesterday. The purpose of the game: to have some fun.

“It’s just a really fun activity to finish the fall season and go into the winter, they’re loving it,” assistant coach Brad Kocher said over Bryan Adam’s “Summer of ’69” song at the game yesterday.  Unlike regular games, music played throughout the entirety of Tuesday’s event.

Standing at attention during the National Anthem, which signaled the start of the game at 3:30 p.m., were Dora the Explorer, Allstate’s Mayhem, Buddy the Elf, a hot dog, hockey players, superheroes, and a mini coach Kocher, among others.

“I loved seeing everyone walk down in their ridiculous costumes,” said junior PJ Cooley, who dressed as a construction worker.

The game was a batting practice game, meaning the pitchers threw from behind an L-Screen, and sliding wasn’t allowed.

The game gave the players a chance to switch up positions, and everyone went up to bat- a rare opportunity for the team’s pitchers.

“We don’t get to hit ever so that was a lot of fun,” said senior captain and pitcher Tyler Haggerson, who dressed up as Dora. “They need to reevaluate that though, because we were dropping bombs.”

Senior Colin Gerish, also a pitcher for the team, said he enjoyed playing other positions, especially shortstop.

The teams were the same as the ones used two weeks ago in the Black and Blue Classic, where the senior players split the lineup with their picks. On Tuesday, the players lost track of the score and just enjoyed the game.

Sophomore fan Ashley Englert said her favorite aspect of the game was how dedicated the players were to their costumes.

“It was definitely entertaining to watch,” Englert said. “They showed some true dedication, like when the plumber batted with his plunger and the biker tried to bike the bases.”

Head coach Eric Theisen said he hopes to make the game an annual event, and players said they’re already planning costumes for next year.

“I think it’ll just keep getting better. We’re gonna try to get the coaches to dress up next year,” Cooley said.

Theisen said the purpose of the game was to give the guys a break.

“The guys worked so hard and this was a release; a day to just enjoy the Halloween season in a baseball way.”

After being assistant coach for the past three years, the six-week fall season was the first time Theisen took the position of head coach for the team.

“A new coach brings in a new attitude and mentality,” junior captain Vinny Delicata said. “This fall the team worked probably the hardest since I’ve been here. So it was cool to have this Halloween game. It was a more fun, relaxed atmosphere instead of an intense practice grind.”

The baseball team’s next home game will be the spring opener on March 1.