Members of Hillsdale’s Alpha Tau Omega chapter will shave their heads this Sat­urday as part of their Clips for Cancer fundraiser.

To incen­tivize dona­tions, which benefit Hillsdale Stu­dents Against Cancer, members of ATO have pledged to shave their heads if dona­tions reach certain thresholds. They will do so 2pm Sat­urday (9/5), on the Quad. Dona­tions are being col­lected during lunch all week at the tables by the Churchill statue. Dona­tions will also be col­lected Sat­urday at the Relay For Life, before the head shavings.

The event is being held in con­junction with the Relay for Life.

As of Wednesday night, ATO had col­lected $650 and more checks are on the way, according to Daniel Van­de­griff, phil­an­thropy chairman for the chapter. He expected they would reach their $750 threshold today. Head shaving thresholds range between $100 and $5,000.

This will be the chapter’s first cancer charity event. Chapter pres­ident Sam Salasky sug­gested the head shaving idea to Van­de­griff.

Salasky said he was inspired by his high school’s football team, whose players shaved their heads in sol­i­darity with a fellow student who had lost his hair to chemotherapy. Salasky wanted to show the same support to the sur­vivors at the Relay for Life.

Van­de­griff eagerly accepted the plan.

“We have some guys in our chapter who are a little too fond of their hair,” Van­de­griff said.

He added that the members have been very sup­portive of the project, saying that their will­ingness to part with their hair shows their ded­i­cation to the cause.

–Walker Mulley