Womens shooting clinic set to begin

Home News Womens shooting clinic set to begin

The College will hold an NRA Women on Target Instructional Shooting Clinic this Sunday, Sept. 22.

The clinic will feature one-on-one rifle, pistol, and shotgun instruction on the range, as well as classroom instruction. It will be held at the Hillsdale College Shooting Sports Center.

This will be the first Women on Target clinic held at a college. The NRA usually sponsors the clinics at shooting clubs across the country.

Anna Pfaff, sophomore, suggested that the NRA hold a clinic at Hillsdale while she interned with the association last summer. The Hillsdale clinic will be used as a pilot by the NRA, which is considering holding clinics at other colleges, Pfaff said.

Pfaff has served as liaison between Hillsdale and the NRA and done much of the organization on the college’s end. Bart Spieth, range master for the College, has also contributed.

Pfaff, Spieth, and Diane Danielson, National Women on Target Coordinator, will serve as instructors.

Pfaff said she wanted to hold a clinic for female college students in order to get both women and youths involved in shooting. At the NRA, she said, “I constantly heard them talking about those same goals so it seemed right to use my connections with Hillsdale College and the NRA, which stand for so many of the same principles, to try to advance those goals.”

Pfaff’s efforts seem to be paying off.

“As I’ve been receiving the applications for registration for this clinic I’ve actually been getting a lot of little notes from the girls telling me how excited they are for this opportunity, so I think I’m mostly excited for getting to work with them.”

Registration for the clinic is now closed.