The Hillsdale College Shotgun Team sprayed across the leader board during their first shoot the weekend before last, at the Michigan Fall Team Shoot.

Mul­tiple Hillsdale stu­dents fin­ished in the top ten, and junior Joe Kain led the pack with a winning score of 99 in the Handicap Cham­pi­onship. Kain also shot a 98 in the singles event earning him another top 10 finish.  Other notables were Kie Kababik, a freshmen who also shot a 98 in the singles, and Anna Pfaff who shot a per­sonal best in singles killing 95 out of 100 clay pigeons.

The team shot accu­rately enough to earn a top 10 finish out of the more than 50 other teams com­peting.  The freshman class, con­sisting of Kie Kababik, Casey Inks,  Jordan Hintz, Kyle Luttig, and Michael Ammerman, is rumored to be the strongest entering class in the program’s history.  At the first shoot, every freshman scored over 95 in their events.

“The team is growing stronger in all dif­ferent events, including sporting clays and the inter­na­tional games,” Kain said.  “This is our second year in division II and I think the team is more than well pre­pared to win a second National Cham­pi­onship for the College.”

The shotgun team’s road to Nationals cul­mi­nates in April, but the team’s focus is on their next shoot at Purdue.  They will compete against Purdue Uni­versity, Uni­versity of Ken­tucky, and Uni­versity of Mis­souri this weekend.  Results can be found on trapshooters.com fol­lowing the event.