Charger Chatter: Andie MacGowen

Home Sports Charger Chatter: Andie MacGowen

Since freshman year, the now senior Andie MacGowen has overlooked nearly every football practice. Camera in hand, she films the drills and games for the Charger football team, providing them with the footage they need to continue improving their game. MacGowen gives a peek into what it means to be a football videographer.

What does the job of a videographer entail?

I have specific drills and things I have to film, from either the sideline or the end zone. There are two of us at each practice, we either film the same thing or there’s two different things going on at the same time and we split up. There are two head people that go to each of the games.

Do you tend to film positions or do you film the game as a whole?

From the sideline, which is what I do during the games, we just film wide; just get everybody in the shot. The person who stands in the end zone, they have to film the linemen, which is called the tight shot.

Do you film specific stuff or do you have some impromptu filming?

It’s very rare that there’s any kind of change in what we have to film. We have very specific drills that we have to film.

Are there challenges to filming on the road?

There’s no routine to it, especially for the end zone person. They have to find where their end zone filming spot is going to be from. It might be different from the kind of lift that we use here. From the sideline, I have to go find whoever is in charge of the press box and find where I’m supposed to be. Sometimes that can difficult with making sure that I can see the whole field and everything I need to capture in a shot.

Are some facilities better for filming than others?

Sometimes the schools don’t have a place to film from an end zone so that means we can only take one person to film sideline. Other places, they put me in weird spots from the sideline, so I end up not being able to get the quality film like I can from where I stand at home games.

What parts of the coaching staff do you interact with?

Pat Hornak is in charge of cameras and equipment and having the film cutters do their job. My actual boss is Coach Lindley. They’re the two I interact with the most, letting me know if I did anything wrong or what the deal is with the practice– if they’re filming something different.

What kind of relationship do you have with the guys on the team?

This year, I’ve gotten better. I know a lot of the guys. We don’t have as many student coaches this year so I’ve kind of taken on some student coach responsibilities, too. So I’m interacting a little bit more with the guys.

What do the student coach responsibilities you’ve taken on encompass?

Helping getting uniforms ready before we leave. Any kind of organizational projects Pat needs done. Just whatever Pat needs done, do it.

What’s your favorite part about being the videographer?

It would have to be that I work every single practice and I really like being able to see the guys improve. I see them working so hard in the week and then I see the game.

Do you feel being the videographer and having that time commitment helps you stay scheduled and regimented with your studies?

It does take up so much of my time that I do have to be better at time management. It helps to have football there so I can’t mess around at all. I have to get stuff done.

How has the experience gained from being the videographer helped you grow and become a better person?

I’ve learned better time management. It’s also just helped with being social with a lot of different age groups all at the same time. There’s a lot of different personal dynamics to each practice.

What is your overall opinion of the football athletes? How do they present themselves as athletes but also as people?

I really respect them more. I don’t think of them as dumb jocks. I see how much goes into being a football player and how hard it is. So much of their time is taken up by football. I can’t imagine having to go to the meetings and the lifts and then also study for school, go to your classes. I can’t really imagine having to do that.

Overall would you say this has been a good experience?

I love it so much, I love the job. Even though it gets so cold.