Baseball splits weekend in Toledo

Home Sports Baseball splits weekend in Toledo

True to hopes and aspirations, the Hillsdale Charger freshmen are helping the baseball team accumulate victories.

The Chargers won two of four games this weekend against Alderson-Broaddus in Toledo.

Saturday’s games were both decided by one run, with the Chargers losing the first 2-1 and winning the evening’s game 4-3. On Sunday, the Chargers won 5-0 and lost 6-4.

Freshman left-fielder Tad Sobieszczanski went 4-for-4 in the second game on Saturday, driving in two runs. Another freshman, Geordy Smith, had three hits over the weekend and drove in one run.

“It feels good to help the team out and to get some experience,” Sobieszczanski said. “I am feeling more comfortable out there and we are all learning that we can really trust our teammates.”

“We really had some freshmen step up and do a good job this last weekend,” head coach Paul Noce said. “We had about six freshmen starting in one game, so that’s encouraging for them to be playing well and for us to be able to play a lot of freshmen.”

Relief pitching didn’t give up any runs in Toledo, another encouraging aspect for Noce.

Another crucial moment of the weekend came when junior Dan Pochmara pitched three scoreless innings in the 4-3 win on Saturday.

Last year, the team had a total of 53 extra-base hits for the whole year. They are already up to 22, almost halfway in only eight games.

“That number is encouraging,” Noce said. “We have some kids that have some pop, and I think that will continue.”

While the team is pleased with their progress, they feel that they still haven’t played to their potential.

“We were disappointed that we didn’t win three out of four games, but we weren’t discouraged,” Noce said. “These guys believe they can win, which is huge.”

“We have played well so far, but not as well as we will play in the future,” Sobieszczanski said.

The team hopes to win more games and see further improvement this weekend in Florida. They leave on Wednesday and will play five games in West Palm Beach and one more on Monday against Slippery Rock in Winter Haven, Fla.

Conference play starts on Wednesday against Grand Valley.