The Hillsdale Chargers women’s bas­ketball team surged ahead last week, getting wins in both Thursday’s and Saturday’s games.

The team now stands 11 – 13 overall and 8 – 13 in the GLIAC. With a Charger win on Sat­urday against the Uni­versity of Findlay and a Malone Uni­versity loss to Walsh Uni­versity, the Chargers will advance to the GLIAC tour­nament.

Last Sat­urday, Hillsdale won 70 – 57 against Walsh in an away game. Hillsdale had won the pre­vious game against Walsh in a home game on Jan. 26, when they racked up an 83 – 67 victory.

“It was good to be able to take care of someone both home and away,” assistant coach Jonathan Mock said. “It’s been tough to win on the road this year.”

Saturday’s game started out a chal­lenge for Hillsdale, sophomore starter Megan Fogt said. By halftime, Hillsdale was ahead by only three points.

“The first half was pretty tight,” Fogt said. “Walsh pressed basi­cally the whole game. We had way too many turnovers, but the second half we settled down and got a lot of stops when we needed them.”

The Chargers went on a 16 – 4 run at the beginning of the second half. They main­tained a sub­stantial lead throughout the rest of the game, and inched ahead to a 13-point lead.

Fogt scored the team high of 15 points. She also played an impressive game defen­sively, snatching 15 rebounds and earning her 13th double-double for the season.

Sophomore guard Kadie Lowery fol­lowed with 10 points, with four field goals and two three-point shots. Freshman guard Madison Berry earned a swift nine points off the bench, with two field goals, one three-point shot, and four free throws.

Thursday’s home game against Malone was a 52 – 47 win for Hillsdale, and a comeback from the 15-point loss to the Pio­neers on Jan. 24.

“It was a tough game, going back and forth,” Mock said.

In the first half Malone pulled ahead by six points only to be over­taken by Hillsdale, who pulled ahead by seven points. The teams were tied 22 – 22 at the end of the first half.

The game was close: before finally pulling ahead for the win, the Chargers and Pio­neers tied six more times.

“We finally started rebounding,” Mock said. “And that did it for us.”

Although Malone out­re­bounded Hillsdale 48 – 31, Hillsdale’s 12 – 1 rebounding run in the last six minutes of the game made the dif­ference for the win.

Hillsdale scored 40.8 percent from the floor, com­pared to Malone’s 27.9 percent. Malone outscored Hillsdale in free throws, scoring 85 percent com­pared to Hillsdale’s 61.5 percent.

Ten of Hillsdale’s rebounds came from Fogt, who scored the game high 20 points. Sophomore Brooke Borowski earned 10 points, with six field goals, three free throws, and two three-point shots. Sophomore Kadie Lowery also racked up 10 points, with four field goals and two three-point shots.

Mock said it was Hillsdale’s great defensive play that held the team at bay.

“We stepped up and made plays down the stretch, and it was huge to us,” he said.

Hillsdale will play at Findlay in the final game of the regular season at 3 p.m. this Sat­urday. Findlay recently upset Ashland Uni­versity, who pre­vi­ously had an unbeaten record in the GLIAC this season.

“I think we are excited, since we only lost by six last game,” Fogt said. “To finish the season out strong would be really great.”

With three wins out of the last four games, the Chargers are fighting to stay alive in post­season play. Mock added the comeback is “a tes­tament of our girls’ char­acter.”

“They never gave in. They con­tinued to show up every day and work hard. We are starting to see the ben­efits of that.”