Essayist and jour­nalist John Jeremiah Sul­livan will visit campus on Feb. 11 and 12 as part of Hillsdale’s Vis­iting Writers Series. On Monday, he will read an excerpt from his work. On Tuesday, he will deliver a lecture titled “The Essay and the ‘Mag Piece’: A Double Helix.”

Asso­ciate pro­fessor of English John Somerville said that Sul­livan is the first writer he has brought to Hillsdale who is not a poet or a fiction writer.

“He’s an excep­tional essayist, perhaps the finest con­tem­porary American essayist there is,” Somerville said. “It’s a delight to have this oppor­tunity to share with the Hillsdale com­munity the gift of a writer so tal­ented as John Sul­livan.”

Sul­livan has authored two award-winning books: “Blood Horses: Notes of  a Sportswriter’s Son” and “Pulphead: Essays.” Cur­rently, he is the southern editor for The Paris Review and a con­tributing writer for The New York Times Mag­azine. He teaches part time in the cre­ative writing program at the Uni­versity of North Car­olina at Wilm­ington. Since he grad­uated from the Uni­versity of the South at Sewanee, Tenn., Sul­livan has held posi­tions as a senior editor at Harper’s Mag­azine and and as a cor­re­spondent at GQ Mag­azine.

Somerville first learned of Sullivan’s work from Daniel Anderson, a former vis­iting writer. A few years later, vis­iting writer Mark Richard also rec­om­mended Sul­livan to visit campus.

“Last summer, I wrote Mark and asked him if he could put in a good word on our behalf and would pass along the contact infor­maton for Mr. Sul­livan, which he did with great enthu­siasm,” Somerville said.

Sullivan’s two books are available at the Hillsdale College book­store. Both the reading and the lecture will take place at 8 p.m. in Dow Center A and B.

snelson1@hillsdale.edu