In addition to the piles of real snow accu­mu­lating around the Hillsdale campus, an “avalanche of E.E. Cum­mings” will hit the area on Wednesday, Feb. 13.

Anthony Zerbe, a pro­fes­sional actor best known for per­for­mances in the Matrix movies, the 1989 film “License to Kill,” and 1973’s “The Omega Man,” will perform a one-man show based on the poetry of E.E. Cum­mings in Markel Audi­torium at 8 p.m.

“It’s All Done With Mirrors” is the name of the free pro­fes­sional artists series show that’s part of Zerbe’s three-day res­i­dency program at Hillsdale College. During his time at the College, Zerbe will give lec­tures on theatre and film, along with teaching ten one-hour master courses with indi­vidual theatre majors.

“He’s toured a lot in his life, both in pro­duc­tions and things he himself has created,” said Zerbe’s agent, Ann Patrice Car­rigan. “The way he came to Cum­mings is someone gave him copy of his poetry when he was on set with ‘Cool Hand Luke.’ He’s done this show for a number of years all over the country.”

Zerbe has taught acting for six to seven years at the Stella Adler Studio of Acting in New York City, along with a two-week intensive course at a master’s program at the Uni­versity of Delaware. He is expe­ri­enced with young actors as well as pro­fes­sional ones, Car­rigan said.

Senior theatre major Mark Keller, who has per­formed in 14 shows at Hillsdale, is very excited to get the chance to work with Zerbe in a master class.

“I did a little one-on-one coaching in high school for NCFCA inter­pretive speech, but most of my training in college has been in a group setting. I’ve had a couple work­shops with former ‘Days of Our Lives’ star Steve Blackwood, as well as his three-credit Acting for the Camera class,” Keller said. “I’m hoping [Zerbe will] help me improve my mono­logues, and work with me on how to improve my audi­tions.”

Sophomore Aaron Pomerantz, who has per­formed in four Hillsdale per­for­mances, is hoping Zerbe will help him dis­cover his “casting type.”

“What I’d like to do is show him my mono­logues and have him work with me to help me see what I’m better at,” he said. “Pro­fes­sional actors show you all little minute things you never thought about. Even George (Angell) teaches us several methods for acting but says that not every one will be useful to us. You show them what you can do and they help channel where you should put your talent or where you shouldn’t be putting your talent and it really helps you grow.”

When Pomerantz heard Anthony Zerbe was coming to campus, he realized he knew him better than he thought.

“I’ve seen him in a  bunch of movies,” he said. “He’s in the Bond movies that I actually like, and he is in ‘The Matrix.’ Once I looked him up on IMDb it was like ‘oh yeah that guy.’”

Along with helping Hillsdale’s theatre stu­dents, Zerbe will share his talent with the rest of campus and the Hillsdale com­munity.

“We usually sell out the pro­fes­sional artist series,” Director of Theatre George Angell said. “They’re free for everyone. That’s one of the great things the College does for the public around here. We’re the only cul­tural game in 60 miles any direction. We provide this stuff free for anyone who wants to come. So if you don’t want to spend 50 bucks to see Anthony Zerbe you can come here.”

Car­rigan said Zerbe’s per­for­mance is unique from most forms of theatre, as it cap­tures the essence of the ‘truly American’ poetic style that is E.E. Cum­mings.

“Some­thing about Cum­mings’ poetry is very the­atrical. It’s very dif­ficult to read on the page but [Zerbe] makes it in a way com­pre­hen­sible,” she said. “It’s an evening that’s con­sumptive not digestive, meaning, I think, that you grab it and make your own movie in your head and if you miss it you move on and grab the next part.”

This stop at Hillsdale comes after a res­i­dency at Florida State Uni­versity, and after this per­for­mance, Zerbe will travel to Sarah State Uni­versity and Ohio Northern Uni­versity, Car­rigan said. Then, he will shoot a movie, details of which will be released later.

Tickets are available for reser­vation in the Sage Center for the Arts.

mdelp@hillsdale.edu