As a dynamic member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Hannah is cur­rently the Cor­re­sponding Sec­retary and Pres­ident of the Greek Ivy. Her lead­ership con­tri­bu­tions to campus have been sprinkled throughout a wide array of activ­ities, including acting as a Resident’s Assistant in both Benzing and Whitley, par­tic­i­pating in Cravats and Blue­stockings, and vol­un­teering with the Adopt-A-Charger program. Hillsdale Christian Fel­lowship has ben­e­fitted from Hannah’s lead­ership in Bible studies and mem­bership on the Vision Team, which man­i­fested itself off campus at a worldview camp in Col­orado where she min­is­tered as a staffer. The last few years have wit­nessed her working for career ser­vices, directing at the SAMs men­torship program on campus, and interning during the summers for a Senate cam­paign. 

What is your reaction to your being nom­i­nated out­standing senior woman?

Wow. God is so good to pour out blessing upon blessing. It is so hum­bling, because there is nothing good in me but that which God has given to me. My friends will tell you, I am a poster-child for the idea of grace as “unde­served favor.”

Do you have a motto or key phrase that inspires you?

From my first week in Olds until now in Kappa, a verse has hung on my wall. It says, “Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act” (Prov 3:27). Time and time again, God has brought that verse to my mind when oppor­tu­nities arise to do some­thing for others. It is so easy in college to focus on the self, to think that we are inde­pendent islands. Well-meaning people will often say that we need to take care of our­selves first so that we can take care of others. While this is true in one sense, I have more often found that when I give to others without wor­rying about myself, God manages to care for me far better than I ever could have. Para­dox­i­cally, it is when I am least con­cerned for caring for myself that I receive the most.

Who do you seek to emulate?

There isn’t one person in par­ticular, but more of a collage of people who display Christ in unique ways: my father’s courage, my mother’s boldness and joy, William Wilberforce’s win­someness, my brother’s drive, Jonathan Edwards’ ability to see God in every­thing, Betsy (Peters) Howard’s zeal for God’s Word, Kelsey Shunk’s inten­tion­ality in rela­tion­ships, Lizzie Shell and Mary Feeney’s gift for lis­tening, my sister-in-law’s wisdom.

Looking back on your time at Hillsdale, what is some­thing major it has given you?

The ability to read. Not, of course, that I had never learnt phonics, but that I have gained a whole new per­spective on how to approach lit­er­ature. This has not only trans­formed the way I read regular books, but also the way I read the Bible. I now see it, not only as the word of God to his crea­tures, but also as the greatest work of lit­er­ature ever written. The second thing that Hillsdale has given me is an expanded per­spective on the world. Home­schoolers dis­cover that there are public schooled stu­dents who escaped a Marxist world-view; private schoolers find people who didn’t grow up with Latin as a second lan­guage can do well in rhetoric classes; public schoolers realize that there is an occa­sional home­schooler who is in pos­session of social skills. Silly examples, perhaps, but they illus­trate one of the greatest aspects of college: when we live with others we learn to see from other per­spec­tives, and our view of the world expands. From these two things, Hillsdale has given me con­fi­dence.  Because I know how to learn from those who have come before me, and because I have learned to see from other people’s per­spec­tives, I know that I am pre­pared for “the real world.”

What is your legacy?

Other than a deep­ening of the dirt path from Saga to Howard? I pray that I leave behind joy.  There are so many ways that God reveals himself to us; if only we would take the time to look and wonder – what joy would be ours!

What are your plans for the future?

Long-term, I want to take part in the restoration of the American family. Of course, that could take many prac­tical forms, but I would like to focus on edu­cation, espe­cially through children’s lit­er­ature. In the next few years, I want to get a job in the business world and begin writing and illus­trating children’s books.