Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams com­peted on Feb. 8 and 9 at Grand Valley State University’s “Big Meet.” The meet included 1700 ath­letes rep­re­sented from 85 dif­ferent schools.

On Sat­urday, senior John Banovetz fin­ished second in the shot put, throwing 54 feet and 2 inches. In the weight throw, he achieved a mark of 60 – 6, placing him at number 10 in the nation for Division II.

“Once you already qual­ified for nationals, to improve a few feet is very good,” head men’s coach Jeff Forino said, citing Banovetz’s per­sonal record.

For junior Brett Dailey, however, Coach Forino expects that his best is yet to come.

“I am expecting him to throw a four foot per­sonal record soon,” Forino said. “I’m sur­prised he didn’t drop a bomb this week.”

Junior Justin Fawley landed an NCAA pro­vi­sional mark in the Hep­tatholon with a score of 4,761.

Freshman Nick Schuster fin­ished ninth in the high jump by achieving a height of 6 – 4 ¾, beating his per­sonal record. His freshman teammate Todd Frickey took sixth in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.08 seconds.

Sophomore Joshua Mirth, sophomore Noah Hiser, freshman Joel Calvert and sophomore Matt Perkins took eighth place at the meet in the dis­tance medley relay.

On the women’s side, the field events saw the best results. Senior Kayla Caldwell con­tinued her winning streak by taking first place at the meet, clearing 13 feet, 5 and ¼ inches.

Senior Adrianna Yancho fin­ished sixth place in the high jump with a mark of 5 – 3. Fellow senior and 2012 All-American Kathy Dirksen took seventh place in the weight throw with a toss of 58 – 6.

Sophomore Heather Lantis fin­ished with a per­sonal record in the shot put with a throw of 40 – 11 and ½.

“The training is always there,” head women’s coach Andrew Towne said. “What matters is having a pos­itive attitude and getting the most out of yourself.”

This week, both teams will attend another meet at GVSU. Orig­i­nally the coaching staff intended to have the meet at Hillsdale’s new indoor track, housed in the Margot Biermann Ath­letic Center. The facility, however, is not yet fin­ished and the team will head back to Allendale, Mich.

With only about two weeks until NCAA Con­ference Cham­pi­onships, the teams con­tinue to prepare. Both coaches remain pos­itive about their prepa­ration and training.

“It really depends on what the kids do now,” Towne said. “They need to take care of them­selves. You never know with 18 to 22-year-olds what you’re going to get, but we are heading down the right path.”