Budget cuts hit Sheriff’s Department

Home City News Budget cuts hit Sheriff’s Department

The Hillsdale County Sheriff’s Department faces a budget cut for the 2013 fiscal year of $126,397, from an annual expenditure of approximately $3.4 million to $3.3 million, according to the final budget for the year 2013 released by the county board of commissioners.

This cut continues a trend of budget reductions for the sheriff’s department, with the department losing nearly $500,000 from their annual budget since 2010.

“I’ve lost six officers in the last six years. They wouldn’t let me replace them. This is the first year I’ve had to lay an officer off. Branch County had to lay off nine deputies,” said Hillsdale County Sheriff Stan Burchardt.

Burchardt warned of the consequences of such budget reductions.

“We do not have 24-hour 911 coverage,” Burchardt said.

Andy Welden, chair of the Hillsdale County finance committee, understood the sheriff’s position, commenting on the effect that budget cuts could have on public safety.

“If you only have two patrol cars on duty, and there are calls at either end of the county, then the response time could be insufficient. I don’t know if you can really prepare for the worst kind of events,” Welden said.

“I’m fully aware that the sheriff’s department is running a tight ship. It seems that people are thinking, ‘Well, they can give a ticket for going 10 miles over the speed limit, but they can’t catch someone for breaking one of the 10 Commandments. I think they’re providing excellent services with the resources they have. It’d be nice if we didn’t have any crime,” Welden said.

According to Welden, the reasons for the reduction in the budget come from issues with state revenue sharing and a decline in property tax revenue. Residential property values have decreased over the last few years, leading to a reduction in revenue.

Since 2010, the Hillsdale County government has had to reduce annual expenditures from $12,037,305 to a proposed 2013 budget of $11,028,309, cutting over $1 million from the budget in three years.

Welden said the budget reductions to the sheriff’s department are part of a larger budget reduction program that hits all county government offices.

“There’s a four percent reduction to all departments, but the sheriff’s department is our largest department as for expenses. Four percent for them is a lot more than four percent for others,” Welden said.

He also praised the sheriff’s handling of the budget situation, saying that the sheriff makes the decisions that need to be made while working with the finance committee.

“The sheriff manages his own budget. Most feel they could do better if they had more money,” Welden said. “We’ve reduced patrol vehicle purchases. That was the sheriff’s decision. If he has to drive a car a year longer or get rid of a deputy, he’ll drive the car a year longer.”

Welden believes that the revenue will remain flat for the foreseeable future, but hopes to restore funding to the county’s public safety departments.

“I am a futurist, but I can’t print more money,” Welden said, with a laugh. “I am optimistic, though.”

ebrune@hillsdale.edu