Around mid­night on Tuesday, water gushed out of the ceiling of the Grewcock Student Union and posts flooded social media. Reac­tions ranged from amusement to outrage, and many stu­dents Wednesday declared it a royal incon­ve­nience to be fed at Curtiss Memorial Dining Hall for a few days while the college sorts out what’s hap­pening. We empathized ini­tially but changed our minds – Hillsdale has made incredible inno­vation in recent years and we’re grateful.

We heard the first meals didn’t go so well. Maybe it’s the building. Those of you who remember formal reg­is­tration in Curtiss probably weren’t sur­prised. For those of you who don’t remember, it was a painful adventure with lots of paperwork and con­fusion. It was sort of like the vestibule of hell from Dante’s “Inferno” with financial aid papers. Some of us were con­vinced Gary Wolfram created it to use as an illus­tration of the failures of central planning in his new book “The Cap­i­talist Man­i­festo” (which you should trot on over to the book­store and buy). But the reg­istrar worked to come up with a new process, and reg­is­tration is now much easier.

Just five years ago stu­dents ate in Curtiss daily. When the college realized it needed a new building to furnish a palatial Col­legian Office, it added thought­fully a dining hall for all stu­dents as well. Lane and Kendall Halls are lux­u­rious com­pared to what we’ve seen inside Kresge on YouTube. Our college admin­is­tration is com­mitted to beau­ti­fying and improving the effi­ciency of our campus, and when problems like this happen we have to remember its larger goal. We have it better than our pre­de­cessors.

And it’s more than buildings and processes.

On A3, you can read about how Hillsdale is using tech­nology to teach hun­dreds of thou­sands of people across the country about the ideas we espouse. Hillsdale College is keeping up in more ways than one.

We dare use the dreaded word and declare that Hillsdale has made progress, nar­rowly defined. As C.S. Lewis well under­stood, progress means going toward your goal and rec­og­nizing when you must change direc­tions to reach that goal. Hillsdale deserves praise for its suc­cessful journey toward progress, with only a couple stops along the way to fix the pipes.