Sororities add 56 new women

Home News Sororities add 56 new women

Hillsdale’s three sororities began rush for 73 women on Jan. 12. After a three-day deferred recruitment process, Hillsdale’s sororities added 56 new members during this semester’s recruitment.

Kappa Kappa Gamma picked up 19 pledges, which brings the sororities total size to 90 women. Chi Omega exceeded last year’s total of 15 with 21 new members, bringing their total number to 88. Pi Beta Phi recruited 18 girls last year and another 18 this year, however, two women of this year’s pledge class have since depledged. Pi Phi’s total count is now 75.

The women returned from winter break a few days early for the rush process, which was shortened this year from previous years. Normally four days, “the new three-day rush is more in keeping with national standard practices,” said Rebekah Dell, assistant dean of women.

The new format, Dell said, also allows school faculty and resident assistants an extra day to return to campus.

The new schedule consisted of one day of open-house tours at all three sororities, a second day to learn more about the particular qualities of each house and sorority philanthropy, and a third day of preference parties, where girls received their bids from each sorority.

“I don’t think [the new rush process] had any domino effect, although traditionally, each girl does get to attend all three house the first two days,” said Dell.

Many people worried that the new schedule would mean fewer girls pledging this year, but after the three days more girls had been recruited than were last year.

President of Chi Omega, Kindle Barber, and president of Kappa Kappa Gamma, Renee Painter, said that they were excited about their respective sorority’s new members.