Match Day fills local non-profit coffers

Home City News Match Day fills local non-profit coffers

On Jan. 10, the Hillsdale County Community Foundation distributed over $233,000 of donations from the organization’s Match Day fundraiser to 14 non-profit agencies across Hillsdale County.

HCCF promised to match donations given on Nov. 30 as a part of the Match Day fundraiser. The public donations totaled to $192,522. In addition, HCCF raised $40,483 in matching donations. According to the foundation the second Match Day fundraiser brought in over 200 new donors across the 14 agencies.

“It is always great when you bring in new donors,” Bisher said.

Established in 1991, HCCF serves as a community grant-making foundation, providing funding to local non-profit organizations that identify problems and service basic human needs. HCCF executive director Sharon Bisher explained that a fundraiser was needed after the local United Way Chapter had closed in 2009.

“When the United Way closed its doors, these agencies no longer had anybody advocating on their behalf for funding. Both agencies and the community foundation were able to get that message to our community,” Bisher said. “When the community realized the need, they stepped up and really helped out in a big way.”

The non-profit agencies that participated in Match Day had previously received funding from United Way. The 14 non-profit agencies included Hospice of Hillsdale County, Alpha Omega Women’s Care Center, Salvation Army, St. Peter’s Free Clinic, King’s Kupboard.

Nancy DeBacker, executive director of The Alpha Omega Women’s Care Clinic, explained the clinic has relied on donations for the past 26 years.

“For 26 years, we have relied on the generous donations of churches and individuals,” Debacker said. “We are absolutely grateful for the community and the foundation for their support, especially during this economic climate.”

Alpha Omega plans on investing in new education resources for their Earn While You Learn program as well as updating the overall facility.

“Match day was a win win for everybody,” Bisher said. “Agencies were able to get the funding they needed, the foundation was able to deliver what the need was, and the community stepped up and provided the much needed funding.”

aanderson@hillsdale.edu