Former Chargers finish NFL season

Home Sports Former Chargers finish NFL season

Days after playing on Thanksgiving Day, former Charger standout wide receiver Andre Holmes ‘11 was released from the Dallas Cowboys.

Holmes did not have to wait long before he signed with the New England Patriots.

“I saw him play on Thanksgiving Day and thought he did a pretty good job,” said Keith Otterbein,  Hillsdale College head football coach. “I was surprised when he was released but happy to see him sign with the Patriots.”

Holmes only played seven games this season for the Cowboys, and will start over with the Patriots. At the moment, Holmes is signed to the practice squad as a wide receiver.

Former teammate and Charger defensive back Nick Hixson ‘11 said he is going through the same situation. After being dropped by the New Orleans Saints practice squad, Hixson was picked up by the Carolina Panthers.

“Around week 12 or 13 of the season I was dropped from the Saints,” Hixson said. “Thankfully I signed with the Panthers after a workout for the team.”

Before Hixson signed as a cornerback to the practice squad for the Carolina Panthers, he went to a workout in Indiana for the Indianapolis Colts. Hixson said he now has to start all over and work hard to make the 53-man roster.

“The NFL is the NFL,” Hixson said. “It is a small-knit community, and it is great to have players from Hillsdale to help me along.”

Hixson said he has received support and advice from both Holmes and Jared Veldheer ‘10. Veldheer continues to play on the active roster for the Oakland Raiders. He started all 16 games as the Raiders’ offensive tackle.

The Raiders, Saints and Cowboys did not make it to the postseason. This past Sunday, the Patriots lost their run for the Super Bowl to the Baltimore Ravens in the American Football Conference Championship game.