Broad Street to open bar

Home City News Broad Street to open bar

Hillsdale will soon have a new bar.

The new Market Tavern will be an extension of the Broad Street Downtown Market’s operations, and will be located in the front of that establishment. The Broad Street Market in downtown Hillsdale already boasts a wide selection of liquor, beer, and wine, as well as specialty foods.

Set to open Feb. 1, the Market Tavern will serve entrées prepared by the Broad Street Market’s own chef, some including the Market’s in-house meats, in addition to liquor, beer, and wine.

Bartender Woody Horn said the Tavern is meant to lower the barriers customers face when trying the specialty beverages and foods sold by the Market.

If people like what they try at the bar, they can purchase more from the Market to take home. This is not limited to beer — all food available at the bar is for sale in the store.

“A lot of it is just trying to give people an opportunity to save a little bit, while experiencing new things,” Horn said.

The Market already stocks over 200 varieties of wine and more than 300 varieties of craft beer. Those interested in regional beers should be well-served.

“We’ve really been doing a lot to try to focus on the Michigan craft beers,” Horn said. “We’re going to be featuring Shorts, Arcadia, Dark Horse, Bell’s, and a few of the other ones.”

The focus on Michigan is strong enough that the beers will be given their own keg in the Tavern. This focus is set to continue.

“We’ll definitely be doing a lot with local breweries to come in, maybe take over some of the kegs, do some specials that way,” Horn said.

Even before building the bar, the owners of the Market began selling beer in singles, because “a six-pack price is a little daunting for somebody that wants to try [something new],” Horn said.

The Tavern is part of the same effort.

“The singles give them an opportunity,” Horn said, “and now this gives them an opportunity to just do it right in house.”

Potential bar-goers have “really been gung-ho,” Horn said.

He said that the principle of making it easier for the customer to try new things has been working well for the Market.

“For the last two months, lots and lots of word of mouth has led us to believe that the direction we’re going, with the singles, Chef Jimmy coming in and doing some of the different things at lunch, has shown us that … if we expand, I think that people will follow.”

The Broad Street Downtown Market, with its Market Tavern opening Feb. 1, is located on 55 North Broad St. The Tavern’s hours are currently set to mirror those of the Market, which closes at 1 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.

The Market Tavern will start a Beer and Wine of the Month Clubs and plans to show pay-per-view sporting events. Club Keno will