Senior Lea Jones is a returning starter for the Hillsdale Chargers. She was Second- Team ALL-GLIAC last year and for the second time in the row earned GLIAC ALL-Defensive team honors.

How did you feel about your team’s ranking in the GLIAC?

We were ranked 4th in the South Division, which we thought was low. We have a lot to prove to people. We expect a lot of our­selves.

What is your team’s strength this season?

We have a new devel­oping strength this year: we’re really fast. There will be a lot of pressing — we’re going to be pushing the ball up the court faster. We’ve always played a fast game;  this is the next level up.

How has it been working with your new assistant coach, Jon Mock?

He’s bringing a lot of good stuff. He’s younger and was at Grand Valley before. So we get

thorough scouting reports.

Which team is your biggest threat?

Ashland. They were very strong in the tour­nament last year and they’re returning the majority of their team. They have a couple really good girls who are all con­sistent. Ashland is ranked in the top five for Division II women’s bas­ketball.

Are there any other teams in the league you see as a good con­tender?

Michigan Tech is always good. They are con­sistent, whether or not they have a star. If you’re

having an up and down game, they’ll blow right by you. And we’re going to Tech this time,

which is a whole dif­ferent thing. They’re the loudest team we’ll ever play. But it’s one of the most fun games of the year, because the whole com­munity comes out.

Is Coach Charney a more defensive or offensive coach?

Coach Charney is both a defensive and offensive coach, but she believes our defense should

be con­sistent and dictate our offense, not the other way around.

Is there a new Charger face we should look for?

The freshmen are doing some good things and are getting good minutes — but I would look out for (sophomore) Megan Fogt. She has had a great start to the season.

Do you ever get tired of being a student-athlete?

The season is pretty long, not going to lie. But I remember that I just love bas­ketball. As a

team, we’ve done a good job encour­aging each other. There’s so much pressure with bas­ketball and grades, but we’ve got each other.

What can we expect to see from your game against Northern Michigan Thursday?

It should be a good game for us; their size vs. our speed. If we focus on our game and

setting our own tempo, we will be good.

What is their greatest strength?

They have a lot of size and strength.

How are you going to leave an impression on your team, being the only senior?

Work as hard as I can, both in practice and games, so I can lead by example.

-Com­piled by Bailey Pritchett