For the second weekend in a row, the Hillsdale women’s swim team added two more vic­tories to its record. The Chargers easily cruised past Ohio Northern Uni­versity 141.4 – 90.5 and Olivet College 137 – 78.

Since both Olivet and Ohio Northern are Division III schools, Hillsdale had more flex­i­bility and the meet wasn’t as crucial as others. This gave coach Kurt Kirner an oppor­tunity to mix things up a bit and compete in events that they nor­mally don’t.

“It was def­i­nitely a change of pace, and it wasn’t as stressful,” freshman Zoe Clark said.

Despite mostly not swimming their spe­cialty events, the girls put on a show for the home crowd without winning by too much.

“In swimming, it’s proper eti­quette to not run up the score too badly, and that’s one thing that sep­a­rates swimming from other sports,” freshman Carson Burt said.

Notable per­formers for the Chargers include sophomore Rachel Kurtz, who, although nor­mally a sprinter, moved up to the 200-yard free and took first place with a time of 1:59.24.

Freshman Hannah Leitner won the 500-yard free and led the way for Hillsdale’s 1 – 2‑3 sweep as Becca Remmes and Emily Peltier were close behind. Just like Leitner, fellow freshman Jen­nifer Wheeler took first in the 1000-yard free and again led the way for another Hillsdale sweep of the top three spots as freshman Mikalah Smith and senior Sami Ward soon fol­lowed.

Sophomore Alison Bauer, who is having a suc­cessful season thus far, recorded per­sonal records in two events: 1:09.03 in the 100-yard breast­stroke, as well as 2:19.36 in the 200-yard IM, which was good for second place.

Freshman Sarah Rinaldi con­tinued her streak of vic­to­rious meets. This time Rinaldi won the 100-yard but­terfly in 1:00.23 and the 100-yard back in 1:02.55. Hillsdale’s A, B, and C 200 free relays recorded the top three times in the event but swam in the exhi­bition cat­egory, which means points cannot be earned.

Coach Kurt Kirner was pleased with how the meet went.

“We really had a lot of good swims, and despite racing after a week of hard work, the girls still put up great per­for­mances,” Kirner said.

Kirner was happy with sophomore breast-strokers Alison Bauer and sophomore Cayley Cruick­shank, who “make great training partners and both have potential to drop more time later in the season,” he added.

While most Hillsdale stu­dents will become couch potatoes pnrt Thanks­giving break, the girls will stay on their grind and are expected to practice with their club teams.

They will compete next at the Calvin invite beginning Nov. 29. It is an important three-day event that will help prepare them for the GLIAC cham­pi­onships.