The Student Fed­er­ation allo­cated $2,000 for March for Life on Nov. 1.

The decision sparked debate among Student Fed rep­re­sen­ta­tives, raising the question of what Student Fed’s goals should be and which campus groups it should be funding.

All pro­posals for funds go first to the Student Fed finance com­mittee, and, if accepted, the pro­posal goes before the rest of Student Fed for an official vote.

Junior Viktor Rozsa, member of the finance com­mittee, said that there was some debate about giving the money to March for Life to pray and protest in D.C. Hillsdale College pro­hibits protests on campus because they will disrupt campus life.

“It’s more of a pil­grimage than a protest,” said senior Jordan Adams, pres­ident of Stu­dents For Life and an orga­nizer of the D.C. trip. “Our group is taking a solemn approach to it. We are calm and pur­poseful.”

Rozsa said the debate was over whether or not Student Fed should give money to groups with spe­cific moral agendas.

“The question is should Student Fed take a moral stand or just allocate funds based on improving student life?” said senior Alex Mere­gaglia, finance com­mittee member.

Adams said that part of a student’s edu­cation is outside of the classroom, taking what he has learned in the classroom and com­bining that with a “social and meta­physical spir­itual aspect of life in sac­rifice,” which Adams said, “is part of being human.”

The March for Life, he said, is part of that edu­cation.

Last year about 150 stu­dents attended the march – about 10 percent of the student body.

“Just because it is off campus doesn’t mean it has nothing to do with college life,” Adams said.

In the end, Student Fed decided to grant the money to March For Life – with one con­dition. If any pro-choice group requested money to attend an off-campus demon­stration, they would have to approve money for them as well.