SAI to perform fall concert

Home News SAI to perform fall concert

The Sigma Alpha Iota women’s music fraternity will host their fall semester concert in the Howard Music Hall on Nov. 10 at 8 p.m.

“It’s going to be a really fun night,” senior SAI member Rachel Shoff said, “and the girls have all worked really hard practicing their pieces and finding things that they think will be exciting for people to hear.”

With acts varying from singing to instrumental performances, the concert contains 16 acts altogether, 14 of which are performed by SAI members.

But these 16 acts weren’t just chosen at random, Shoff said. Auditions for a spot in the concert were held a month prior to performance night.

“[The SAI girls] had the opportunity to do absolutely whatever they wanted to, in whatever groups or combinations they wanted to,” Shoff said. “Then we went through the audition process and we chose the top 14.”

In addition to the tryouts for positions, Shoff said lots of planning and effort from everyone involved went into putting together a crowd-pleasing concert.

“It can be a very big time commitment, especially for the concert committee,” Shoff said.  “They’ve put a lot of time into making posters and making the programs, getting the rooms, preparing pieces – so everybody has put a lot of time and effort into it.”

Shoff encouraged all students to come and watch.

“It’s a night full of jokes and fun, but also a night full of really great music,” Shoff said.  “So it’s a great opportunity to take a study break and laugh — for a long time.”