The Hillsdale College women’s bas­ketball team defeated all three of their oppo­nents last week in the first clashes of the season.

On Sat­urday, Hillsdale beat Ohio Mid­western College 70 – 59, and the win was head coach Claudette Charney’s 500th in her NCAA coaching career. She will be honored during halftime of the men’s match-up with Northwood tonight at 6 p.m.

In the win against the Rams, sophomore center Megan Fogt scored a career-high 27 points, making 13 of her 30 attempted field goals. She also grabbed the game-high number of rebounds, snagging 16 of Hillsdale’s 56.

Hillsdale out­re­bounded Ohio Mid­western 56 – 32, and had only 25 turnovers com­pared to their 33.

The victory came in the William Fleming Classic tour­nament at Ken­tucky State, where the Chargers also played Liv­ing­stone College on Friday, Nov. 23. It was another win for Hillsdale, 74 – 68.

Junior forward and starter Angela Bisaro racked up 22 points, more than any other player on Hillsdale’s or Livingstone’s team. She made seven of her 19 attempted field goals and eight of her 17 attempted free throws, but had three per­sonal fouls and one turnover.

Freshman swingman Madison Berry led the bench, with six points in 14 minutes. She made all four of her free throws and one of her field goals, and had two per­sonal fouls.

Alto­gether, Hillsdale made 27 of 33 attempted free throws, about 82 percent. That sig­nif­i­cantly topped Livingstone’s 22 out of 40 attempted free throws, only 55 percent.

The team took the floor on Nov. 20 for the first official game, and beat Urbana 83 – 74. After a last-minute 71 – 71 tie, the teams moved into overtime, where Hillsdale picked up the win.

“For our first game, after a month of practice, we did decent. We played hard,” coach Charney said. “We played our best in the last five minutes of the game.”

The win was impressive for a par­tic­u­larly young team. Seven of the 14 team members are freshmen this year, and coach Charney described the team as “very inex­pe­ri­enced.”

“We lost three of our top five scorers last year,” she said. “It’s going to be a process. You can’t replace expe­rience that quickly.”

Junior guard Marissa DeMott agreed, saying, “This season we are very young so we have a very dif­ferent team.”

She fol­lowed that by saying that since it was a win, Tuesday was a great start to the season. The women had only played one exhi­bition game this season, so they were eager to compete.

“We were all very ready to play against someone other than our­selves everyday,” DeMott said.

Four of the seven freshmen played for a sig­nif­icant amount of time in Tuesday’s game, including Ashlyn Landherr, who started and played more than 30 minutes. She scored nine points, grabbed seven rebounds, and had five assists.

“My coaches and team­mates made me feel com­fortable during the game so that I wasn’t ter­ribly nervous,” Landherr said. “It felt awesome to start the year off with a win.”

One of the best per­for­mances came from Fogt, who scored a double-double, with 17 points and 17 rebounds. She said the double-double came as a sur­prise to her, but that she is pleased with it.

“I was just hoping to go out there and do the best I could for the team. I’m happy I helped us to get the win,” she said.

Junior guard Marissa DeMott also per­formed well, racking up 20 points, with six three-point-shots nailed out of her first eight attempts.

“It was a really good start along with our two wins we had in Ken­tucky this weekend as well, and I’m very excited for the rest of the season to come,” DeMott said.

Hillsdale will play Northwood Uni­versity tonight at 8 p.m. at home. This game, along with Saturday’s 3 p.m. home contest against Lake Superior State, will open GLIAC play for the Chargers.