Mitt Romney may have lost the pres­i­dential election on Nov. 6, but it wasn’t for lack of effort on the part of more than 70 stu­dents from Hillsdale College cam­paigning for the GOP can­didate in Ohio last weekend.

The College Repub­licans and vol­un­teers for the Madison Action Fund, a super PAC, cam­paigned in hope of drawing Repub­licans to the polls in Findlay, Ohio, for the pres­i­dential election on Nov. 6.

On the night of Nov. 2, Hillsdale cam­paigners arrived at the Comfort Inn where the group was briefed on what they would be doing that weekend. They then broke off, split into car groups, and were sent off to bed.

From 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. the groups from Madison Action Fund went door-to-door in groups of two, encour­aging right-leaning inde­pendent and con­ser­v­ative voters to get to the polls before Tuesday evening.

To promote some friendly com­pe­tition, the group broke up into two teams, Team Romney and Team Ryan. The team that made the most con­tacts would receive cus­tomized T-shirts after the cam­paign weekend. At press time, the winning team was unde­ter­mined.

Sophomore Dakota Michael, a Team Ryan member, said that the goal was not to con­vince reg­is­tered voters who to vote for, but to encourage them to vote in the election.

Cam­paigners were given a tablet equipped with an appli­cation that deter­mined the door-to-door route based on a gravity score that reflected the voting history reg­is­tered voters.

“We went to spe­cific houses,” said team Ryan member sophomore Sara Cho­j­nacki. “It wasn’t actually door-to-door.”

The gravity score is set from a range of 12 to -12: 12 being a reg­is­tered Repub­lican that con­sis­tently voted in the past, -12 being a con­sis­tently voting Democrat. Partners Michael and Cho­j­nacki said they never con­tacted any reg­is­tered voters lower than a -2.

Sophomore Nathan Brand, who cam­paigned on behalf of MAF, had a rel­a­tively uneventful route until his last door on Sunday night. The house was listed as having a high gravity score.

Before Brand could finish his pitch, the man inter­rupted, voicing his irri­tation that he was missing the football game to listen to someone advocate a gov­ernment that is stealing his money.

“He said that he would rise against the gov­ernment if he could and began to list con­spiracy the­ories,” Brand said. “It turned out his wife was the one with the high gravity score.”

On Sat­urday at 6 p.m., the teams regrouped to begin a night of making phone calls. After being on the receiving end of mul­tiple flus­tered hang-ups and irri­tated con­ver­sa­tions, the group went to bed to begin another round of door-to-door visits the next morning.

The 47 stu­dents that cam­paigned with the College Repub­licans made more than 8,300 con­tacts through door-to-door visits and phone calls, while the 30 stu­dents with MAF made an addi­tional 8,000-plus con­tacts.

Although Romney did not clinch Ohio in the national election, pres­ident of the College Repub­licans, junior Maxwell Kleber, said that the hard work did not go to waste.

The College Repub­licans spent the majority of their time cam­paigning in the 16th Con­gres­sional Dis­trict. While they were advo­cating all Repub­lican can­di­dates in the con­gres­sional, sen­a­torial, and pres­i­dential races, Kleber said that their cam­paigning mostly impacted Rep. Jim Renacci’s victory.

“I’m dis­ap­pointed with the outcome for pres­ident,” Kleber said. “But the Repub­licans being able to retain the House means a lot.”