The Chargers extended their winning streak to nine this weekend against Lake Erie Uni­versity and Ashland Uni­versity.

The Hillsdale College Women’s Vol­leyball team held both teams to three sets.

“Knowing that we can get it in three gives us the con­fi­dence of doing our best to repeat it each time,” sophomore Alexis Waugh said. “All these little wins will add up in the long run when it comes time for regionals.”

Friday, the team defeated Lake Erie 25 – 17, 25 – 13, and 25 – 17. Junior Rebekah Draves said the team went into the game knowing that Lake Erie is able to make good plays. Draves, along with freshman Kirstin Malcolm, led in blocking for the team with three blocks each.

“We all did our jobs and it is important that we do our indi­vidual jobs to make the team work,” Waugh said.

Head coach Chris Gravel rotated the lineup in the match. This gave extended play to the entire team. Waugh said coach reminds them to look at the team like an iceberg, meaning the base is one of the most important parts.

“We talk about the iceberg all the time,” Waugh said. “Remem­bering that the important part of the iceberg is the base and as a team we need to be inter­changeable.

Gravel said both Waugh and junior Sydney Lenhart did a great job on set selection in both games this weekend. Freshman Emily Wolfert set a new career record on Friday with 10 kills. Junior Caitlin Kop­meyer and Wolfert led the team in digs with 10.

Waugh said the team is working on getting more “eye­balls” each week. An “eyeball” is when the team fin­ishes a game point as planned. She also said the team has a board with each member’s picture for “stars”. She said it con­tin­ually reminds them that if they have not received one in a while to step it up.

Sat­urday, the Chargers faced the Ashland Eagles and won 25 – 22, 25 – 23, and 25 – 21.

Draves said the team’s com­mu­ni­cation and energy was high and con­sistent throughout the match.

“We push each other as a team to be the best and that is what we want,” Draves said. “Against Ashland, we had to play our game, and not let them into our heads. Instead we got into theirs and really shut them down.”

Lenhart and Waugh led the team with set assists: 20 and 18, respec­tively.

“Ashland came out a little cocky,” Waugh said. “Besides their loss the night before to Northwood they had been doing pretty well; however, it is our sense of urgency and con­fi­dence that keeps us going. We pick our­selves up, if someone misses a play, you work harder to get the next play.”

Wolfert, again, had 10 kills with 11 digs. Freshman Haylee Booms delivered eight kills and achieved a career best hitting average of .727. Sophomore Bailey Linder ended her third weekend as libero with 13 digs.

“We know how to take a punch. Before our winning streak we knew how to lose and now we are learning how to win,” Waugh said.

This coming weekend the Chargers will have their last home games of the regular season against Saginaw Valley State Uni­versity and Lake Superior State Uni­versity. Waugh said it is important for the team to win both matches this weekend and espe­cially in three, in order to send a statement to the rest of the GLIAC.