Track and Field to run Haunted Hay Ride at Hayden Park

Home News Track and Field to run Haunted Hay Ride at Hayden Park

It has been reported that ghoulish activities are taking over Hillsdale College’s Hayden Park, courtesy of the Hillsdale cross-country and track team.

This Friday and Saturday, both teams will be hosting a haunted hayride fundraiser on the college’s cross country course. The event will take place from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. and prices for hayrides will be two for $6 and four for $10.

The narrated hayride will journey to the depths of the cross-country course, experiencing the frightful sights and sounds of the ‘haunted’ trails.

The idea for the hayride started when the coaches wanted to create a new fundraising event for both teams. Head coach of men’s track and field Jeff Forino said the fundraisers are essential to the team. The money that is raised supplements costs of travel and equipment within their budget.

“We try to do a couple of fundraisers a year for the team, for us, this will be a team building activity,” he said.

Both teams have spent the past few weeks collecting supplies, planning the route, and advertising. Coaches and students have gone around the community collecting donations, from tractors, to straw bales, pumpkins, and even hot chocolate.

Once the idea for a hayride was solidified, sophomore Jack Butler along with juniors Elliot Murphy and Peter Kistler mapped out the details of the event.

“We felt like it would be fun,” Murphy said. “We began developing a story throughout the different stations and planning a route for it.”

Senior cross-country captain Andrew Koehlinger explained that each captain is in charge of a group of athletes stationed along the trail.

“My job is to implement the vision for the course that has been cast,” he said.

The event on Saturday night will also include a bonfire and refreshments.

“Our hope is that the community, students, and alumnus will all be able to join,” Forino said.

Koehlinger expressed the team’s enthusiasm for this spooky event.

“It is a great opportunity for the community and school to be exposed to Hillsdale track and field,” he said. “Hopefully this will be a mainstay of Halloween and homecoming in the years to come.”