‘Skip-A-Meal’ to raise money for charities

Home News ‘Skip-A-Meal’ to raise money for charities

The Student Federation will host its “Skip-a-Meal” program on Nov. 5.

The program raises funds for student-run charities. Students are asked to “skip” eating in Saga for a meal, and in turn, Saga donates the cost of that meal to the Student Federation’s philanthropy budget. This money is given to different charities organized by Hillsdale College students.

In the past, they have raised as much as $2,000 through Skip-a-Meal, said David Wilhelmsen, Student Federation treasurer.

Wilhelmsen is also the President of the Aliaga Foundation, whose mission is to help poor children and families in Latin America through education and economic development.

He said that the foundation requested $800 from the Student Federation last year and used that money to raise a total of $1,800. The money was given as a scholarship to enable a Latino student to attend college.

Each year, Skip-a-Meals’ funds are donated to a different purpose or project.

“We could obviously function without the money [from Student Federation] but it’s really nice to have the money allocated so we can send a whole lot down [to Latin America],” Wilhelmsen said. “I commend Saga, the Student Federation, and the students who skip a meal, for making this possible.”

Last year, the student-run International Club and the Students for Life organization also received funding from the philanthropy budget. In order to receive funding, a club must intend to give all proceeds to their particular charity.

To encourage hungry students to stay away from Saga that day, a food contest is being held in the old snack bar. Resident assistants and Greek house presidents are being asked to encourage their halls and houses to concoct their best dish and bring it to the old student union during dinner.

Junior Olivia File, a Student Federation representative, said that all participating students can fill up on the potluck food and judge it. The chef of the winning dish will receive a prize.

“We want to create a fun and friendly way for students to get to know Student Federation better and also to show your skills in the kitchen,” File said.