Jilly Beans: a delicious crossroads

Home Features Jilly Beans: a delicious crossroads

While the morning frosts and gradually dipping temperature signal an impending winter, they also signal the season for hot chocolate-sipping and book-reading by a fireside, such as the one located in Jilly Beans Coffee Shop in downtown Hillsdale.

Walking into Jilly Beans feels like entering someone’s home, perhaps a favorite aunt’s.  From the wooden door with beveled glass panes to the faux-fireplace to the cheerful employees, the atmosphere is homey, small-town, and family oriented.

“I love walking in here because there’s people I know everywhere.” commented Maggie Danaher, a senior.

Saturday mornings are the busiest time at Jilly Beans. In addition to the the crowds of locals drawn downtown by the farmer’s market, Hillsdale students make up a large percentage of the Saturday-morning patrons, engrossed in books or conversation with friends. Hillsdale graduates and retirees visit with old friends and clusters of young mothers relax over steaming lattes and loose-leaf teas.

But the diversity seen on Saturday mornings is actually common for Jilly Beans, a hub of the community.  It is a fun and delicious crossroads between the college and the town.

“We see such a variety of people: college kids, businesses, little old ladies who come in for their tea, mommies groups —”  the owner, Jill Nichols, explained, clearly delighted in her work. “I have anywhere from four to ten mommies who come in on Tuesdays.  I’ve had several business meetings in here this morning. Governor Snyder’s office has had several events and meetings in here. Even Senators come in, because we have enough room.”

Jilly Beans has been in Hillsdale for four years, beginning when Nichols took over the business after owning a different business for 23 years. She also worked at the coffee shop that occupied the building before Jilly Beans.

“When we got here, the garden in the back had been closed for a while, so we reopened it,” Nichols said. “There have been weddings and showers back there. We have live music. There’s something going on there almost every weekend.”

Connie and Carol, two Hillsdale women, go to Jilly Beans after taking morning walk to the farmer’s market.

“We have coffees with whipped cream, though I guess that kind of ruins the purpose of the walk,” Connie said. “We came before it was even Jilly Beans.”

“We love going into the little area in the back,” Carol added, referring to “The Secret Garden,” that Nichols re-opened, a walled garden swathed in ivy nestled at the end of a long corridor behind a blue and green stained-glass window.

The Romeos, a group of older gentlemen, meet at Jilly Beans every morning, Tuesday through Friday. The owner, Jill Nichols, said that, “[The Romeos] have staked their territory on the couches in the back. I have to put up a sign for them, because if someone takes their spot, it’s just a crime.”

In addition to coffee and tea drinks, Jilly beans serves wraps, sandwiches, paninis, pastries, scones, and soups.  Amish-woven rugs, locally-made jewelry, and purses are also available for purchase.

As the colder months approach, Jilly Beans provides an off-campus refuge to escape the chilly winds of fall, indulge in decadent coffee-drinks topped with mounds of whipped cream, and engage in a lively community.

“Everyone here is so happy,” said Nichols, “They come in and want their coffee, and they’re just so happy. I love that. I’ve always said I want to love what I do or I’ll do something else. And I just love it here.”