On Oct. 7, the Michigan Press Asso­ci­ation offi­cially announced the winners of its College Better News­paper Contest for the 2011 – 2012 school year. The Col­legian received 26 awards in Division II, which rates weekly student papers statewide against each other.

Com­peting against such schools as Cor­ner­stone Uni­versity and Ferris State Uni­versity, The Col­legian sub­mitted pieces in 12 dif­ferent cat­e­gories that were then judged by a com­mittee of pro­fes­sional jour­nalists. The paper swept both the News Story and Column, Review, or Blog cat­e­gories as well the Front Page and Non-Front Page Design sec­tions. It also received second place in the coveted General Excel­lence award, which mea­sures the overall quality of a paper through three con­sec­utive issues.

“Winning these MPA awards affirms our knowledge of the program’s strength,” said faculty adviser to The Col­legian Maria Servold. “I’m glad our stu­dents’ work was rec­og­nized.”

Servold, who was in charge of com­piling all of The Collegian’s entries for the contest, said this year’s showing was a vast improvement from last year, when The Col­legian received half as many awards.

“We have a lot of out­standing writers for The Col­legian,” said John Miller, director of the Dow Jour­nalism program. “It’s nice to see talent and hard work honored this way.”