NFL kicks off with Holmes’ tackle

Home Sports NFL kicks off with Holmes’ tackle

Around 22,000 total tackles will be made this year in the NFL.

The man with the first tackle of the 2012-13 season is former Hillsdale standout Andre Holmes.

In his first game as a member of the Dallas Cowboys, Holmes tackled on the opening kickoff. The Cowboys went on to defeat defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants 24-17 Wednesday, Sept. 5.

“It was pretty cool to have the first tackle of the season,” Holmes said. “It built confidence for the rest of the game and builds confidence for the rest of year. … I had some special teams and kickoff stuff during the preseason, but this was my first tackle.”

Ian Sheldon, a sophomore defensive lineman on the Charger squad, was among numerous Hillsdale students and alumni that saw Holmes’s tackle and tweeted about “Charger pride.”

“As a current Charger and former teammate (of Holmes’) I think I can say for everyone how proud it makes us to be able to watch Andre on Sundays,” Sheldon said.

Holmes, an undrafted free agent in 2011, joins the Cowboys this fall, following Oakland Raiders left tackle Jared Veldheer, as the second Hillsdale College player to make an NFL roster.

“One thing I want to do to be better is be more consistent,” Holmes said. “I feel like that’s the main thing, and being healthy. I want to get better so they can count on me every play.”

Veldheer was a third-round draft pick (69th overall) in 2010. Veldheer began his third season in the league with a 14-22 loss to the San Diego Chargers on Monday Night Football, Sept. 10.

Veldheer is currently ranked the 89th best player in the league by CBSsports.com.

Nick Hixson, a 2012 graduate, was picked up as a practice-squad member by the New Orleans Saints. In last week’s interview with the Collegian, Hixson expressed excitement at the opportunity to play at the highest level, even if only at practice.

Head Coach Keith Otterbein, now in his 11th season, said there’s no exact formula for who will be successful in the NFL.

“[NFL scouts] can measure everything, and they do in fact measure everything to come up with some statistical way to decide if one guy’s better than the other. But what it proves in cases like Jared’s, or with an undrafted free agent like Dre, is that it’s such an inexact science and there’s so many intangibles that go into what makes a good, successful player,” Otterbein said. “There are so many factors that go into it that it goes to prove that with recruiting, you always have a chance to find a diamond in the rough.”

Otterbein attributes his three former players’ success to character and work ethic.

“We’ve been fortunate to put nine guys in NFL camps in the last five years,” Otterbein said. “…Our guys don’t have a lot of baggage, where unfortunately sometimes college football players do. Because of the strength of character and family values and the way our kids are raised, that’s an attractive thing for NFL teams.”

Holmes, who dreamed of playing professional basketball as a child, said Hillsdale helped him prepare for the rigors of a professional sport.

“I think continuing to put best my foot forward every day, and take it day by day, was one thing we did at Hillsdale, especially during morning conditioning,” Holmes said.

Holmes referred to a poem he uses as inspiration for making the best out of opportunities.

“‘Today is a new day and you can waste it or use it for good,’” Holmes quoted. “That kind of mentality, taking it day by day, especially in (NFL) training camp, is about knowing you have to keep coming back and keep working. That’s what you have to do in the NFL and in any job.”